Vince Young Entering Draft!!!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by THE53, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smili

smili Starter

This makes our pick much more valuable. We can probably take Leinart or Young and be fine, or if Reese wants to trade down a bit and get more draft picks there will be more takers at #3. (especially depending on evaluation of other QB in the draft).

2. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

To be honest with you guys, I doubt Chow is really biting at the bit to get Leinhart. He just doesn't seem to be much impressed. I think if Leinhart was Palmer, than things would be different. The thing that I like about Vince is his ability to make something out of nothing, his humbleness, leadership, upside and his desire to improve. Leinhart has no upside.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I've read a bunch of posts stating that Chow is not impressed with Leinhart. That might be so but it might also be a result of Chow saying Palmer is better. Palmer is in that special category but I'm not sure Chow is neccessarily negative toward Leinhart. Anyone have a link where Chow is quoted as not being "impressed" with Leinhart?
    After watching some games this weekend and seeing the meltdown of Ely I'm beggining to see more the value of having a QB that can play under pressure and make accurate decisions and throws. Young will not be able to play the same game in the pros that he did in college. Leinhart might be the safer pick.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If both are on the board when the Titans pick, it'll be interesting. If the Titans offense is really as much like the one Chow had at USC as has been reported, then you get a QB almost ready to step in and go with Leinart. I think that gives him a significant edge here.

5. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Whichever QB we draft won't be stepping into a starting roll though...

Also, am I the only one that finds these rumors about Chow being down on Leinart fishy ? With a team drafting above us that could possibly take our player, it would definately be in our best interest to play a little game of deception. It almost makes me wonder if they are trying to get NO to bite on Young so we can grab Leinart...

6. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

roll = role =/

7. moose4now

moose4now Starter

I'm with you. :thumb:

8. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Any particular reason?

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

no arm strength AND he cant run. some of his deep balls in the rose bowl could have been timed for hang time.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'll take that one.

I think both a right there together, for the most part. All trash aside, it's a blessing that both are in this draft together and we're at #3 with an opportunity to land one of them.

Leinart is more of what you look for if you have a QB checklist, but Young is a proven leader as well, maybe a little more so with what he had around him at Texas. Leinart is one of several stars at USC, Young one of a few, and the only one on the offensive side of the ball. What he did against USC's D is no sneeze either. Leinart hit the highest ceiling he can achieve in college and Young, though a year behind him, made HUGE leaps year over year, then beat Goliath when it mattered. Despite all the stuff we heard about his iffy passing, when he passed, even though his delivery is odd, his balls zipped, no one on the USC side of the ball got close enough to effectively defend his passes, and often you could see the power he had while flicking his wrist during his throwing motion. So you can see similarities to what we did offensively this year from Texas, depsite knowing that Leinart knows the system, too. I don't know if tampering with his delivery is the way to go, it could use some tweaks, but only to maximize what he's already doing. I look at his frame and he's still in the BoyzIIMen stage of life. His arms alone have growth potential. I think Leinart's arm is not going to get as strong as Vince's will eventually. Also, despite the outward similarities to Vick (which really end at running well) I see a lot more than a RB disguised as a QB. He'll be a much better leader than Vick I believe (c'mon - Ron Mexico - that guy is really a playboy in ATL). Young has the drive and desire. Not saying Leinart doesn't have it, he does, and good character as well, but he was not overly gracious in defeat. I like Young's verve a little more, too. You could see on the sideline and in clips how he gets his team ready to play. See the brace on Leinart's knee in the Rose Bowl? Vince is pretty injury free I believe. He's a tank. And even though he runs, he's not afraid to stand in the pocket and take a hit. A year younger than Leinart, but with AT LEAST all the maturity and even more potential.

And that "no ability to read defenses" argument? Well, he picked USC apart, didn't he? And though I haven't seen him play much, his passer rating, again, highest in NCAA this year, suggests it's not a problem.

And playing out of the shotgun isn't an unfair advantage. If it was, everyone would do it all the time. They do it so he can read the front 7 and decide if he wants to pass, hand off or take it himself. Just another offensive wrinkle. That's why he sits back there.

Again, I ain't mad if we get Leinart, but with Young close by, I'd be a little disappointed if we do.

I wish we could ask Chow since he's worked with Leinart. How much would he like the opportunity to work with Young? His delivery is in the Rivers category (under 'miscellaneous). That'd be the answer right there, the same one we'll have to wait until April to learn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar