Vet Witherspoon embraces dual role for Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

He’ll turn 32 years old before the season starts, which means Titans linebacker Will Witherspoon will be nine years older than one of his fellow starting linebackers, Akeem Ayers, and eight years older than the other, Colin McCarthy.

Witherspoon will also be 10 years older than second-round draft pick Zach Brown, the man who will likely replace him at some point.

All of which makes for an interesting scenario regarding Witherspoon: He’s expected to serve a mentoring role to his far less experienced linebackers, while at the same time trying to make sure players like Brown – or 26 year-old Gerald McRath – don’t bypass him on the depth chart.

“You’re competing every year,” said Witherspoon, a 10-year veteran. “That’s one of the things you have to do, compete year in and year out. It’s the nature of the game.”

But Witherspon still plans to offer guidance.

“As a vet, I can’t say that because I’m competing against him doesn’t mean I have to help him or bring him along,” Witherspoon said of Brown. “Because he’s got to be ready to step onto the field at any particular point in time. So you have to bring everybody along the same way.

“That’s one of the things we do well in this linebacking group. We know the competition is there and we understand it. But the decisions that get made on that front are out of our hands.”

Witherspoon started 14 of 16 games last year, but he saw his playing time reduced as the season went on. He posted 62 tackles, two sacks and an interception in 2011, compared to 99 tackles, three sacks and two interceptions in 2010.

Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray said Witherspoon must meet the team’s high expectations for the weakside linebacker.

“We put a lot on our (weakside) linebacker,” Gray said. “You have to be athletic. You have to blitz sometimes. You have to make open-field tackles. You have to do some things that make people account for you because they always account for the strong side (linebacker and the middle linebacker.)

“If you can get really good at (weakside), now you can make them account for all three of your linebackers, and that’s kind of what (Witherspoon) has to do.”

Witherspoon, who keeps himself in great shape, said he certainly doesn’t feel like an old man.

“It’s funny. (The young linebackers) keep telling me I’m the old man of the group, but at the end of the day, I’m still running faster than all of them,” Witherspoon said with a smile. “So they can’t say too much.”

Faster than the kids for real?

“A good bit – most of them,” Witherspoon said. “I wouldn’t doubt it. I can get going when I need to.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I was really happy when we acquired Witherspoon. Some fans seem to think he's lost a step, but I haven't seen it. He still hustles and makes plays, great role model for our guys.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Replacing him with Ayers in nickel situations midway through the season last year shows me he's slowing down, I don't have to go back and watch a game from 2004 to see a comparison. Ayers' forte isn't covering in space like that, but they got him on the field because Spoon just can't do it anymore.

4. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

He's been solid, definitely not as fast as he claims to be but he plays hard and gives it all he has. Plus he seems like a like-able guy. That said, I am stoked about seeing what our young LBs are capable of doing together. They have the potential to be a great group.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I really wanted Spoon last time he was a free agent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar