Van Morrison vs The Waitresses CLOSED

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Mar 8, 2016.

?
  1. Van Morrison

93.8%
  2. The Waitresses

6.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

BAND WARS RD1: Van Morrison vs The Waitresses

2. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

All I can think about when I hear The Waitresses is that awful Christmas song.

3. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

The Waitresses put out one really good album..they're basically the predecessors to No Doubt with their ska influences. As Christmas songs go "Christmas Wrapping" is certainly not the worst.

Van Morrison is certainly deserving but I'm voting against him for "Brown Eyed Girl"...a song which he bought outright in NYC for 50 bucks from my friend's dad.

• LOL LOL x 1
  4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

lots of guys buy songs on the cheap. Tell the story if you dont mind

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Have I told you lately, moondance, brown eyed girl,wild night, into the mystic, crazy love.

Those songs are enough to win against most of the conpetition,IMO.

6. avvie

So this guy- Harold B.- was just out partying at some dive bar in NYC Back In The Day...not sure if he was just loosened up or downright hammered...wound up chatting with some cranky Irish guy who was a singer. Harold was a musician himself but as a hobbyist. Dunno if the song was on paper or if he performed it but the cranky Irish guy offered him $50 for it, which I guess was good money at the time ( I've sold three pieces for $75/ea, so I can kinda understand....you people, being sports types, might have actually heard them for all I know because FOX Sports and ESPN own them now). Of course he took the money and deals with the "what if??s....regularly.
    He's in South Carolina now...retired from a career in chemistry. He still made his contribution to society though: he designed an organism that eats toxic waste and reduced it's environmental impact to literally tons of waste per year to zero.
    His son is heavily into music also as a hobbyist in Greensboro. A former bandmate, his knowlege and persistence are superior to his skills because he's a lefty trying to play righty; he'd be awesome if he learned the natural way. I put the least amount of effort into that band because of this, but despite this issue we still wound up on the radio in college rotation...primarily the song I sang lead on, which flipped me right the hell out when it came on the radio the first time while I'm driving along doing my thang. Three cheers for persistence! I can't qujte imagine what Harold might feel knowing that his song is one of the nation's most overplayed, most requested of cover bands and most nostalgic to aging sorority sisters....and he gets nothing from it; not even the songwriting credit.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Oh well though. It's not like his song ever would have done a thing, if it remained in his hands. At least millions got joy from a song he created. And though it's overplayed, it still makes people happy, and IMO, that's the purpose of that kind of music.

at least he got a cool story to tell. If he had any proof at all, he could sue for a ton of money. never sell intellectual property without documentation, I guess. Foolish to not get that in writing.. But it's ancient history at this point, I suppose.

I don't even try to write songs. But I guess id be happier with the pride that I wrote an absolutely timeless, legendary song,than playing that song myself in front of tens of uninterested people.. And it quickly fading into obscurity forever.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. avvie

Yep...Butterfly Effect and all that.

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

10. avvie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar