UT continues to add to their reputation as

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Daves not here, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Jason Respert

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

This is clearly a problem.

3. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Umn... Did you read the link? He bound, duct taped the eyes and mouth, and raped a 14 year old girl who happened to be a relative. That goes a little beyond "doing something stupid". Or, maybe you raped your cousin when you were 13, too? Yeah, I guess that's one of those silly mistakes we all made as kids.:rolleyes:

4. Broken Record

The victim has forgiven him. I'm wondering how a random poster on the Internets would know more about the situation than her.

5. Tuckfro42

I usually try to stick with only one Internet at a time... and I know as much about this story as you do. It's great she forgave him. But, it doesn't change the fact that what he did was sick behavior. Rapists do not get rehabbed, especially when they start as young as 13. This wasn't statutory rape. It was kidnapping and physically raping a 14 year old girl.

6. Broken Record

I suppose one Internet is still good enough for some of us. :wink2:

The University obviously knows more about the situation than you or I, as does the victim. Both of them want this young man to succeed in life. That's good enough for me.

Anyone else is certainly entitled to their own opinion and maybe if they feel the need to condemn the kid then they can get their jollies off if he fails.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

You don't know very much about the story. What he was actually convicted of was accessory to aggravated rape. He was 14, and present when a 17 year old raped his cousin, who was 14. The victim (his cousin) has said that she has forgiven him and at the time she said that the only thing that he did wrong was that he didn't do anything to stop it.

It's a terrible story, and a terrible thing to have happened. I'm also very worried by UT's history with their players, both during school, and in their lives after. Little, Henry, Haynesworth, etc... have all had HUGE potential and ruined their own and many others lives. It's a very relevant issue for discussion.

That being said, don't jump to conclusions about a particular individual. It's partially the fault of the journalists who want to make their stories as attention-grabbing as possible. However, we too often think that we know everything relevant about a particular story when we in fact know very little.

8. Tuckfro42

Thanks for informing me. I never said I knew everything about the story, just what I had read. Oh, and it's MAINLY the fault of the journalists for not clearly explaining the situation. Being a scared 14 year old who witnessed the act and a deviant pre-pathological rapist are two totally different things. Hopefully, what you say is completely true.

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Well, it's pretty difficult for anyone who wasn't actually there to know exactly what happened, and I wasn't there. However, I'd like to think that the UT people who were checking into this actually looked at the court documents and talked to the individuals involved instead of just reading the story in the paper.

10. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

West Virginia and Penn State have given the world of college football their fair share of crooks as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar