Updated: Bush is Texans new defensive coordinator

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>Gary Kubiak didn't go far to find his new defensive coordinator. Frank Bush was already on his staff as senior defensive assistant.</p> <p>Kubiak will talk about Bush shortly, and I'll come back in this post to add some highlights from the press conference.</p> <p>Bush replaces Richard Smith, who was let go after the season along with defensive backs coach Jon Hoke, just hired for the same post in Chicago, and defensive line coach Jethro Franklin.</p> <p>Here are details about Bush from the team's announcement:</p> <blockquote> <p>Bush has coached every position group on the defensive side of the ball during his career. In addition to his two years working with the defensive line for the Texans, he coached the linebackers for the Houston Oilers from 1992-94 and for the Denver Broncos from 1995-99 before assuming the role of nickel/secondary coach for the Broncos in 2000. Bush was the assistant head coach/linebackers for the Arizona Cardinals from 2004-05. He also spent three seasons as the special teams coordinator in Denver from 2001-03.</p> <p>Bush got his start with the Houston Oilers working as a college scout from 1987-92 following a two-year playing career for the team. He was selected by the Oilers in the fifth round in 1985 as a linebacker from North Carolina State and was named to the all-rookie team after making 99 tackles, three sacks and recovering three fumbles. He suffered a career-ending injury in 1986 which led to his career in the front office and on the sidelines.</p> </blockquote> <p><strong>UPDATE [7:18]: </strong>Some snippets from Bush's press conference...</p> <p><strong>On how is the style of defense going to be different from what the Texans have been playing:</strong></p> <p>"Well, you know what's going to happen, we're going to just start to make sure we've got all of these kids running around and doing things on the same page. We're going to be aggressive. We'll be attacking, but more than anything, we're going to be a team that communicates. All of our guys are going to be on the same page; everybody is doing the exact same job at the exact same time and you'll see more passion in our play. You'll see guys that fly around and try to get turnovers."</p> <p><strong>On why has the defense finished ranked in the 20s the last three years:</strong></p> <p>"There are several, several factors involved in that. To pinpoint one particular thing, it would be hard to do just standing here, but we haven't kind of held our end of the deal as of late. Offensively, those guys are moving in a forward direction, and I'm here to just try to get the defense to move at the same pace as the offense is moving. Our guys are clearly ready to take off and go in that direction and that's up to me to kind of motivate them and get them going in that direction."</p> <p><strong>On what the identity will be with him as the defensive coordinator:</strong></p> <p>"When you speak about identity, that's developed; that's developed over time. It's going to take us a little while to get going, to get our feet on the grass outside and get going, but what you will see early, early and often, is a group that's attacking, a group that's aggressive, they're passionate. You'll see guys flying around and you'll see guys having a good time playing the game of football."</p> <p><strong>On what he will do to force more turnovers:</strong></p> <p>"Well, I think the first thing you do is you simplify so you get faster. That's one of the things we're going to focus on. We're going to simplify so our guys can play faster. The faster we play, the more times we get big hits. The more big hits we get and the more big hits we get, the more times that ball will come out. And that's what we're going to try to do. We want guys to attack. And I keep using that word but that's what we want. We want guys to attack and be violent and create turnovers that way."</p> <p><strong>On his lack of experience calling defenses:</strong></p> <p>"You know, I haven't' called a defense per se. But you know, I spent three years on the sideline as a special teams coach and called every situation. I was the assistant head coach in Arizona and helped call that defense back then. So, this is going to be new. This is going to be me with the ownership squarely on me. But at the same time, I feel like over the years I've prepared myself for this opportunity."</p>

More...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar