Undrafted Rookie Free Agents Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KC_Titan

KC_Titan Starter

2. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

Means nothing. There probably just showing off their new shiny helmets to any UFAs they can.

3. chowdersoup

chowdersoup Guest

Sign some damn WR to get P. Williams out of here

4. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Nader Abdallah!

Yea I'm being a homer, so what? He's a good player, some upside, just a late bloomer.

5. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

So, why didn't Dudly get drafted.....? Doesn't he look like he has as much promise as dominique edison?

6. Buck Nasty

Buck Nasty Pacman Smith

7. Lava

Lava Camp Fodder

OL Ryan Scmidt (South Florida) was added for us.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The Titans won't get many UDFA because there is no where for them to go. I heard MR this morning on the radio and he said some guys are turning down the Titans and taking less money to go elsewhere because they know there isn't room for them.

I think they'll bring in 8-10 including a QB.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'm not going to be surprised if Guice makes the team, or at the very least the PS, but I'm leaning toward likely the team. He's probably among the first they went after and probably offered him a 2-year deal to come to Nashville (yes, they can do that; Little got a similar deal to sign and he was injured). Check it:

"The official Northwestern State (La.) pro day is March 19, but one scout showed up on Tuesday, so the school held an impromptu workout.

WR Dudley Guice put up some impressive numbers on the outdoor FieldTurf track. He checked in at 6-foot-2 1/2, 209 pounds and ran a 4.40- and a 4.43-second 40-yard dash. That time would have ranked him among the fastest participants at last month’s combine. He also had a 39-inch vertical jump, 10-foot, 5-inch broad jump, a 4.01-second short shuttle, a 6.61-second three-cone drill and 12 bench-press reps of 225 pounds. It is also noteworthy that he has 34-inch arms — a good measurement for a wideout."

If we keep 6 or 7 receivers this year, which we could since our big FA splash looks to be Nate Washington, we will need all the help we can get, so I can see a guy like this being promised something fairly tangible, even if it's being brought up to the active squad during the season as the opportunity allows.

1) Nate Washington - 6'1 about 185 4.3x speed

2) Justin Gage - 6'4 212 4.53 (guessing)

3) Kenny Britt - 6'3 218 4.47

4) Lavelle Hawkins - 5'11 187 4.47

5) Dominique Edison - 6'2 205 4.4-4.44

6) Dudley Guice - 6'2 1/2 209 4.4-4.43

7) Paul Williams - 6'1 209 4.41-4.45

This would be the corps after letting Chris Davis and Mark Jones seek new opportunities. I see no way Edison doesn't make the squad, unless he blows. It's not the Filani situation of 2007. And if Paul can't hack it (I'm just presuming his measurables keep him in the running; Davis is expendable, sorry to say), then I'm fine with having three new rookies on the roster.

In fact, I was hoping for a purge where only Gage and Hawkins remained. If PW can hang, I think it's a reasonable year to go in with seven given we didn't land a Holt or a Boldin.

The trimming in my mind would then be RB - unfortunately losing Henry and Ganther. Little might remain on the practice squad another year and then be signed to an exclusive rights deal to battle in camp again in 2010, after LenDale is likely gone. After Ringer has settled in to being Johnson's backup, Little would be the third back who offered the change-up and plays on special teams.

If not, I can still see us going into the season with that top 6 at receiver and carrying all four TEs, three active running backs, one fullback. (Add two or three QB and eight or nine OL, and there's your twenty-five offensive players.)

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

This is what Gut had to say when I originally posted the pro day result for Guice:

"This is an Andre Johnson like workout! Phenomenal!!! Too bad he doesn't play to that athleticism. Still, he does have nice hands and can catch outside his body. Someone will give him a shot in rnd 4-7...probably in the 5th or 6th. This is exactly the kind of guy someone wants to take in rnd 3 (normally the 2nd but too many good WR's this year for that) because of awesome athleticism. Huge boom or bust and he might need 3-4 years before he puts it all together (IF he ever does).

If only...

Gut"

I will say I remember the Colts and another team went to scout him personally. I'll try to find it. I think several teams were probably interested, but he's got a real shot to make it, if he outplays Davis, Jones and possibly Williams. And heck, as far as Davis and Williams, they must know it's their last shot in camp, so in my mind, half of Guice's work is done. All he has to do is come in and keep showing the reasons they brought him in to begin with. I think the Titans decided, Look, is there really a difference in Edison and Guice as these guys (Williams and Davis) that we drafted in the third and fourth? I know Reinfeldt was on board, but remember, he came on about two weeks before the draft. The 2007 draft was still architected by Floyd Reese, and carried his handprint, going high potential in the second, scattershotting wide receiver picks.

By contrast, Britt, Edison and Guice, and might as well throw in former WR Cook, are all in Heimerdinger's mold. When did Rod Smith get drafted? I just a see a kind of connection here. Heimerdinger really has no reason to love Williams or Davis, and I feel Jones was one of those pick-ups in case you don't get what you need in the draft. We got it in spades this time. Mouton, McCourty, Edison and Guice would all bring speed to special teams.

As far as WR goes, I think these three we just picked up are going to go with our current top three. Britt and Hawkins will get playing time to backup Gage and Hawkins, I feel certain. Edison and Guice are perfect depth and special teams contributors. No need to go with more than those six right there.

The only opportunity I would possibly await would be getting a top vet WR, but given the weekend, I think we've moved past that. If we did, I think Gage would likely need to be dealt as a result.

People need to love it. We've finally started a new chapter with the receiving corps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar