Unconventional Wright gets it done

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

The Titans’ Kendall Wright has proven to be one of the league’s most dependable wide receivers, as he leads the NFL with 25 third-down catches this year.

But he doesn’t always do things according to the book.

In fact, Titans quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick described Wright’s style as “street-ballish” – using the term in the most complimentary fashion.

“He’s hard to cover because he’s kind of freewheeling out there a little bit,” Fitzpatrick said. “That can screw you up a little bit as a quarterback, but kind of the feel I have for him — and maybe some of it is my background with (Buffalo’s) Stevie Johnson – is that Kendall is the type of receiver you need to give some freedom. That’s when he’s at his best and that’s what he’s been at his best doing this year.”

Titans offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains agrees with Fitzpatrick’s assessment, comparing Wright to Denver’s Wes Welker in terms of his ability to get open by whatever means possible.

“The thing Kendall knows is where he needs to be and how deep he needs to be, and he knows at what point Ryan is expecting him to be there,” Loggains said. “How he gets there … you can’t put the kid in a box because you take away some of his creativity.”

Loggains says he’s given Wright unprecedented leeway in terms of not running routes precisely by the numbers.

“He’d be the only guy on this team that has that option,” Loggains said. “He’s the only guy I’ve ever been a part of on a football team – on any coaching staff I’ve ever been on — that has had that freedom to get where he needs to get.”

It turns out Wright is pretty tricky after he catches the ball as well.

Wright ranks third among all NFL wide receivers with 448 yards after the catch, trailing only Denver’s Demaryius Thomas (527) and Washington’s Pierre Garcon (450) in that department. His 448 yards after the catch are already more than any Titans/Oilers wide receiver has posted in an entire season since 1992, when that stat was first tracked.

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Way to make good use of that Harvard education Ryan

• High Five High Five x 4
  3. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

Not bad for being short fat and slow.

4. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

and having a girls name.

5. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Who would have thought that after a rookie year in which Kendall's ypc was a source of ammo for his detractors, that this year his ypc would be among the best in the league. I'm glad I warmed up to the Kendall pick quickly cause he's become one of our best players.

6. nbtoppers2

nbtoppers2 Pro Bowler

Wright and Hunter have a bright future for sure.

7. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

One of my favorite Titans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar