uk fan young or volek

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ronsweet, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronsweet

ronsweet Guest

hi everybody,being a titans fan for a number of years but I live in the UK,so all this change seems very exciting to me but will norm chow give young the chance will the offence run with volek all season.
    also will our secondary be better this season,surely we have got to stop the deep thrown ball this season.
    any coments.

2. Bobo

Bobo Guest

There's been talk of using Young's athletic ability.....we'll see.

Guess the secondary can't get any worse than last year :closemout

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

yes and yes. Young will get his chance 6 or 7 games deep into the schedule. The DB unit will be fantastic... Hopefully #28 will look better as he works with FA signing Hope... Pacman and Hill will be great and I'm not worried about the nickel... there is competetion there and someone will emerge dominate. I'm looking for a serious pash rush that will force errant passes that the corners and even the safties will capitalize on. This team will be better than it looks on paper... practice reports be damned.

ps- Young will surpass expectations

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I don't think Young will be in that soon. Week 8 is the earliest I could see it, and the FO isn't glowing positive reports. Initially, they were saying he was ahead of schedule and picking things up fast. Now, he's in a normal learning curve, which with the titans means a lot of time with a clipboard. I'm thinking we don't see him more than a few plays until the last 4 games. Volek won't be great, but he'll get the job done. We can't expect miracles.

The DBs should be better. There's less pressure on them, and they've grown a lot. I'm hoping our D surprises everyone.

6. ShoTym

ShoTym Rookie of the Year

I don't know if you had the priviledge of watching Vince play at UT. But I'll fill you in. He was a high recruit that many said he couldn't play QB in major conference football and would have to move to WR. He struggled his sophmore year only playing part of the season. He started his junior year and beat Michigan in the rose bowl almost by himself. But people still questioned his arm, and his ability to read defenses. (automatic criticism if you don't fit the stereotypical QB mold. :baghead: ) But he then showed his Senior year that he could infact beat you with his legs and his arm. He beat Ohio State in Ohio with a perfect pass to win the game.

Then came the Rose Bowl. The critics were counting him and his team out. They said Pete Carroll with 4 weeks to prepare would bottle up Vince and render him useless. They compared the USC trojans to NFL teams and stated that they could possibly be the best ever. Then Vince put on the best individual show in NCAA history. He beat the USC trojans pretty much by himself.

Then came his decision to turn pro. And guess what. More doubters and criticizers. They misinterpreted the UT offense and stated that he played in a one read offense and would not be able to read defenses in the NFL. They said he wouldn't be able to run against NFL defenses. They pointed out that he had been playin against college teams and he'll have trouble in the NFL. As if Bush, and Lienart didn't also play against college teams, and the weak Pac-10 at that.

So now he's at Tenn. Learning and absorbing. Bonding with his teammates, because above all, his most underrated quality is his leadership. He lead his UT team to glory. Those guys would have run thru fire for him and so will the Titans when he takes over.

So, doubt him if you wish. Heck, even my football brain tells me that he can't start this year, he'll look awful. But I can't doubt him. I'll believe he can fail when I see it.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

ShoTym,
    you are what Texan fans call a bootlicker.
    :yes:

Great testimonial and welcome to the forum!
    :logo:
    I'm sorry man. I forgot that Billy is called "The IRONMAN" back home in CALI-FORN-IA.

8. GoTitans3801

That's a lovely little history of Young there, but it's pretty much non-responsive to what I was saying. I wasn't saying he won't be good, I'm pumped for Young to be the titans QB for the next decade. I'm saying he's not ready, he's a rookie. But hey, let's look at your argument...

1. UT- We're in Tennessee (I consider a Tennessee Titans website to count as Tennessee), UT is University of Tennessee. Just call the University of Texas "Texas", and you'll be clearer.

2. So you're saying Vince Young came in, with a lot of questions and doubters, and struggled in his sophomore year (I presume that's after sitting a year)? So you mean he has a history of taking time to learn things? Hmmm... that bodes well for him starting right away, clearly he picks things up fast.

3. This is the NFL, not college ball. The players are ALL better. It requires a huge jump, and almost no QBs can jump in early and be productive without a TON of help around them. We don't have a great line, we don't have amazing RBs and WR, and at this point I don't think we can say we have a great Defense yet. Without ANY of those things, it's ridiculous to say Vince can come in and start well soon.

The point is, if we want him to grow into a successful QB, we need to be a little bit careful with him. Let him pick things up slowly, get comfortable with them, and then throw some more things in. Don't put pressure on him this year, there's NO reason to. If we somehow are in the playoff hunt, Volek is playing really well, and then gets injured with two weeks left, yeah, he'll have to grow up, but we shouldn't force it. Patience now will make Young a better QB.

4. Just to be crystal clear, I'm not a Young doubter, I think he'll be great. I do, however, think it will take time for him to develop into a great QB. He's already clearly a great leader and person, but he needs time to get ready for the NFL.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Nice post.

10. GoTitans3801

Coming from you Jeff, I take that as a high complement. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar