U of Miami investigation.....Whoa

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Chapparal97, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

2. Ryudo

Ryudo Farten Up

Glad I'm a UTES fan.:grrhee:

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

The NCAA needs to bring the death penalty back. It's the only way to stop this kind of thing. Almost ten years of paying players with money, parties, hookers, ect..

Everyone knows the positives outweigh the negatives when it comes to paying players. If you lose a few scholarships and can't play in bowl games for a couple of years, no big deal if you sell out the stadium every Saturday and make millions of dollars off of merchandise.

4. Shanvhere

Shanvhere Elite

They will and Miami will get the "Death Penalty"

5. Fry

I seriously doubt they will. College football is better when Miami is great.

Shapiro also said The U was losing recruits to the SEC because there was more money there than Miami could ever get because they're a small, private school. If Miami gets the death penalty, the NCAA is setting a new precedent when another big program gets caught with something like this.

It will never happen, but it needs to.

6. XO

XO Nevada Native

If any of you honestly believe the NCAA actually wants to bust anyone you are delusional.

The NCAA is about the $$$$ and that is it.
    The odds of Miami or anyone else catching the death penalty is 0%.

I'd say every major program out there is dirty in some way. Everyone does these things. Every school has rogue boosters. Every major program pays for players directly or indirectly. To believe otherwise is naive.

The entire system is broken top to bottom. I'd could go on forever about my dislike for the NCAA.

Two words: Institutional Slavery

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. Fry

The best part about the NCAA is it's optional for teams to be a part of it. Schools can choose to be an independent and play by their own rules. Notre Dame basically said F you to the NCAA and signed an exclusive deal with NBC. They're now on TV EVERY WEEK, something they could never do while being a part of the NCAA.

I'm amazed that more of the elite schools haven't gone that route.

8. XO

XO Nevada Native

Why would these schools leave? They get the luxury of using the NCAA as a shield.
    When the media ask these universities the tough questions they can just defer to the NCAA and their ignorant rules.

As long as the money is rolling in nothing will change. How often does the NCAA nail someone without the media breaking it first? Rare to never.

Just like the Miami situation. The story hits the media and the NCAA acts like they have know all along.
    Well in the months you have known about why haven't you done anything about it?

The same with the suit store junk in Alabama. The media found out and all of a sudden we find out it was reported months ago to the NCAA.
    Nobody did anything. Still haven't.

I take the Cam Newton and Danny Sheridan thing with a grain of salt. Hypothetically lets say he is telling the truth. What if the NCAA has a names of a "bagman" and witness?

Do you really believe they would crucify a SEC program and wipe another title/Heisman from the books without having their hand forced? Negative.

I say pay these kids. Let them profit from their hard work and talent. These kids make MILLIONS for these universities and the NCAA.

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

lol

I say these 'kids' should take advantage of the 10s of thousands of dollars in education they are given and make something of themselves. Its not like a smart guy with connections to a university and rich friends has a hard row to hoe in America.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

They are already getting paid through education, clothing, food, weekly stipend, etc. So, how much more are you going to pay them? And, how are you going to regulate that? Do you really think by paying players more, you get rid of boosters and agents giving a "little extra?" You'll have the exact same problems even if players are getting "legally" paid.

The only way to stop all of this nonsense is to punish the PLAYERS. Either the NFL says no thank you to any player caught violating rules or an offending player must pay back all scholarship money and fines to the University.

As it stands, the only parties punished for these violations are players who had nothing to do with the scandal and the new head coach that was brought in to replace the dirty head coach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar