TV Show Thread

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Gunny, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I typically like a well-made shows - and Mad Men is well made and well acted but it only takes a couple of episodes to absorb the setting and culture of the time.
    3 or so seasons in I was still waiting for the point.
    All style, no substance.. Don should have killed his wife early on - then get caught later. Something..

2. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

College Humor's roast of HBO.

3. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Good start for Game of Thrones last night.

Mad Men....I'm not sure what direction is being taken with only 5 more episodes to go. At this point, I feel like Don is going to die. Both episodes since the break have had a weird vibe and I like it but with only a short time left it's very bold.

4. The Playmaker

This is what I tell my friends. Give it one season because if you can make it past the first season and you have a genuine interest in the characters, then it only gets better. It's all about character development. I love the story around Don, I love his dynamic with Peggy, Roger always on the seek for relevancy within the firm etc etc.

Some people say it's too boring and I get that, but there are plenty of people that are into it without zombies, dragons, robots, etc etc. I have more crazed reactions to scenes in Mad Men than any other show that I've loved such as Breaking Bad and Sopranos, all just depends if you can get into it or not. For instance, me and my roommates loved both Breaking Bad and Mad Men and while shouting or having jaw dropping moments over what Heisenberg did, we'll have the same or even more enthused reactions when Don makes a pitch or Roger weasels out another client.

5. The Playmaker

I actually loved the first episode. Now last night's episode, was a bit of a waste. However, Matthew Wiener is one of the better writers out there and I have full faith with 5 episodes to go, he can deliver a hit for the series finale.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I actually just tried to watch Mad Men, watched 1 episode and probably won't watch it again. I was pretty bored throughout the entire episode, literally nothing made me want to watch another episode. Maybe I need to give it another shot?

Really struggling to find a new series now that I finished Daredevil. I don't have cable, so pretty much all my TV time is from Netflix, Hulu, or WatchESPN.

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I think you need to give any new show, particularly a drama, more than one episode before making a judgment. But if you absolutely hated the pilot then there's definitely a chance the show simply isn't for you. But yes, the pilot is very slow and meandering. But yes, the show gets much better.

#1907 SawdustMan, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

FWIW the wife and I watched the pilot of Mad Men a long time ago and weren't impressed. So we didn't watch again until about a year later when we decided to give it another go. Now we both absolutely love it.

Pilots can be rough. You usually can't judge a show off of them alone. Hell, I remember being pretty underwhelmed by the pilot to The Wire. And that ended up being one of my all time favorites.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Patience is definitely not my strong suit. Sounds like I need to give it another whirl.

10. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I also don't have cable...

Netflix has a TON of great shows. Surely you can find something.

Almost every good show that Hulu has is already on Netflix, so I don't find much use in it.

I'm doing a free month of Hulu right now (for the third time in the last few years), and I can honestly say they will neve see a dime from me until they put out a better product. If you're going to charge the same as Netflix, your product better as good or better than it.

An underrated show that Hulu does have (and Netflix doesn't) is Party Down... Just finished it recently. It's a shame they cancelled it, but that's what happens when you put a TV show on Starz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar