TV Show Thread

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Gunny, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I know the pacing is not for everyone in BW. Whenever I recommend the show to someone I do warn them that it does move slowly. It requires a certain taste and will not appeal to everyone.

I love it more than most as I am have a big interest in organized crime and politics. Even more so as a student of History I love the social history in the show. The producers do an amazaing job setting the period. Little things like seeing how people live, clothes they wear, cars they drive, etc interest me more than most. The show really immerses you in the early 1920s. A period similar to the early 2000s where there was a lot of new technology people were just getting used to: electricity, indoor plumbing, cars, flight, electric appliances, film. All had just become common for people in the previous 10-20 years.

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I like all of those merits as well. Period entertainment always has added value. It's mostly the Kelly MacDonald fixation that seems too drawn out. Jimmy's mom as well. Richard and Eli were great characters.. Wish Paz (Lucy) would have stuck around longer as well..

3. The Hammer

I really like the Chalky character myself. And the race relations angle that gets played out, especially in season four. Richard was not supposed to be in the show that long but he was so cool that they kept him around. I agree with you on Nucky's wife, she did get too much attention. Most fans of the show seem to feel the same way about her. The IRA stuff was cool, would have liked to have seen more there. And Owen (They should have used the traditional Irish spelling Eoin) was a good character but I found the affair between him and the wife to be annoying.

4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I see Michael Pitt was just replaced on Hannibal after only one season.
    I wonder if he's difficult and if that had anything to do with an early exit from BE.

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I think so too. I don't get all the hate toward the Affleck casting. Sure he's not a Christian Bale level actor but we're talking about Batman here. The role doesn't exactly require the greatest range of human emotion. Simply looking the part is about as important as anything else. And IMO he looks the part as much or more so than anyone else who's ever been cast in the role.

I highly doubt he'll do the ridiculous throat cancer voice. That voice was so overwhelmingly and unanimously ridiculed I just don't see how they do it again when given a fresh start.

6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I gave up on Boardwalk Empire halfway through the 3rd season. I don't mind slow pacing if the story/ride makes up for it. But IMO it was just too slow with not nearly enough payoff. And this coming from a guy who ironically enough loves Mad Men.

I would like to finish out the series of Empire at some point. But I'm not sure if/when I'll ever get to it. There's just so much quality TV on these days.

7. LosingBy3

LosingBy3 Starter

There wasn't a throat cancer voice in Batman Begins, but it just got worse from there. I don't get it.

I understand the need to mask the voice, like Kevin Conroy did, but he just went for a little more gravelly, not "Holy **** i smoke two cartons a day".

But affleck gets credit for being in a **** ton of Kevin Smith movies, who is a big comic book enthusiast, so that ups the nerd cred enough for me.

8. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I dont get why everyone is so annoyed by the voice. Makes zero sense to me. There's plenty of reason to be masking it, it wasnt nearly as bad as people are making it out to be and there's not another route to take with it. I think the ones complaining are the same ones who btch about the Halftime Show every year.

9. The Hammer

You missed an amazing end to the season. Only good thing about season three was the last couple episodes when **** got raw.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Peaky Blinders is my new sh**.

They dress like me, but have better dialects.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar