Truly taking the "best player available"

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by 2ToneBlueBlood, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I have a very hard time believing that 8 WR's will be off the board in the by our pick. I think most teams know what we know, that this draft is extremely deep at receiver. Knowing that the draft is so receiver rich and they can get a good one late why would teams rush to take one in the first unless it's a guy like Evan, Lee, or Watkins? I don't think they will. And before the combine Matthews was seen as a 2nd-4th round talent so I'm not sure why you think it's such a stretch he'll be there. His combine performance will raise his stock but that doesn't mean he'll be a first rounder.Last year's draft was also seen as being deep at receiver and only 4 WRs were gone by the time we picked Hunter with our second in a similar spot. Hunter was considered by many to be a 1st round talent.

So please explain to me why 8 will go this year when only 4 went last year. In fact I looked at the draft dating back to 2007 (got bored after that) and in none of those drafts did 8 or more guys go in the first round. The closest I saw were 6 taken in 2007 and 2009. It doesn't seem likely that many will go as the perception is there is a steep drop off after the big 3.

And no one said elite WR's don't help what I said was they don't necessarily put you over the top and get you a ring. I listed teams with top 5-10 receiver and there isn't a single ring between them. 3 B+/A- receivers will get the job done better than 1 stud. Seattle is just the latest team to show that.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mike Mayock thinks that 7 Wrs will go in the first rd. We have the 10th pick in rd 2, pick 42. Last year 4 were taken in rd 1 and 2 more(Hunter and woods by the 41st pick. So in the deepest and best year for wrs it is unrealistic to think that 2 more will come off in the same period?

Watkins-Evans-Lee-Benjamin-Robinson-Cooks will go in rd 1. Matthews and Beckham will come off quickly in rd 2. After that there is a fall off though i think Moncrief is worth that pick.

3. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Matthews is a cousin of Jerry Rice...if he has the same work ethic and an ounce of Rice's talent...take him!
    http://www.vucommodores.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jordan_matthews_711876.html

Maybe we can then add Jerry Rice as a WR coach or something :)

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I agree, I thought Matthews was a 2nd rounder but then he goes out and runs 4.4 and 4.44, um I highly endorse a trade down, grab a 3rd then nab Matthews in the back half of the first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar