True grit

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by CRUDS, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

See, I think most of the time, the Coen's are trying to be funny. Even if it's really darkly ironic, it's supposed to elicit humor.

Examples - the Native American man who wasn't allowed to say a word after the two white man were allowed to pontificate pure bullsh*t, Bridges having the girl almost break her neck to cut down a guy, only to him blandly say "I do not know this man", Bridges ridiculous recantation of the shooting of those men in court.

You either find it funny or you don't. Some people think I'm nuts for declaring No Country For Old Men one of the funniest movies of 2007, considering how dark and tense it is. But I did, still do.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Yeah, those did get a smirk from me. Forgot about them. Same for the 'missed shot' lines.

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Dead on..
    There a few scenes in Miller's Crossing and Blood Simple that are the litmus test for detecting if people catch that humor. If you're only horrified by M Emmett Walsh pursuing Frances thru the adjacent loft then you not likely enjoy any Coen flick outside of possibly Lebowski..

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I think Fargo,Big Lebowski and O' Brother Where for Art Thou are their funniest movies. Crack me up throughout.

There's a lot of humour around Josh Brolin and Bardems characters in No Country for Old Men

5. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I finally saw it last night. It was worth the $7 and I'll likely watch it again when it comes around on demand. This puts it in the top 20% of movies I see and I try to be pretty selective about what I actually go out and watch. Since I have young kids, most of my budget is spent on whatever fairy tale Disney/DreamWorks/Etc. has rehashed with cgi. With this in mind, perhaps my standards are lower than most.

I like most of the Coen films with a few exceptions. I wouldn't put this one in the top two, but I agree that it was well done in most respects. I thought Steinfeld was excellent and look forward to seeing where she takes her career next.

Perhaps someone can tell me what the deal is with the lack of contractions in the dialogue. I think I heard the word "not" more times in those two hours than I have in the 2 years prior. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar