Troy Polamalu Int?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by #90, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

How many of you think there is heavy conversation going on between the official in the camera and the officials upstairs, in regards to what the call should be? I'm not kidding. Sometimes I think they sit there and listen to the announcers and then make a decision. And I'm not even saying that's a bad thing. I think they should listen to other people while making a decision. But clearly in this case, the offical wasn't listening to anybody.

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well, if I'm not allowed to argue that this is exactly why it was the correct call, then you don't leave me much.

The reason I think it was the correct call, is that he fell to the ground while he was in the process of catching the football and he then lost control of it while he was still technically down. And I think the rule stipulates that you need to keep control all the way, even if you're lying flat on your back. And if you try to get up and lose the football, it's a fumble if you've cleared the ground and an incompletion if you're still down.

That depends on your definition of "on the field". To me "on the field" means an official making a call as it happens, without the benefit of replay.
    In this instance the referee looked at the replay and changed the initial "on the field" ruling. Is that more clear?

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

i think the only thing the official in the booth does while online with the field zebra is to take commands on stopping and rewinding of footage

i don't think he's giving advice to the field

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

argue all you want - that's what i'm asking you for
    see that wasn't so hard. and a good response
    except for the fact that he lost the football while in the process of standing up. hence he wasn't down. i don't think it says anything about having to clear the ground (whatever that means)
    here's the deal. he made a diving catch - rolled over to try and stand up - while getting to his feet he kicked the ball with his knee. This is a fumble - which he then recovered and waited to be touched as down

the only way that should have been an incomplete pass is if the tip of the ball were to have hit ground before he caught it. Troy had BOTH hands underneath the ball and tucked t into his chest.
    Had that been Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison it would have no doubt been a complete pass
    No it is not. It doesn't explain why you said "Dungy Challenged it"

"on the field ruling" can pertain to calls made before or after replay
    it means that the call is made "on the field" and not "in the booth"

5. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Either way they reviewed the play and made the right call according to the rule. Kind of a dump rule but that's how it is and thats the way they called it.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

oh, I forgot ... he was never technically down

he lost control while he was technically standing up

believe me, if it were the proper call, we would not be discussing it
    nor would hundreds of MB, USENET and various Sports Sites

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

He was in the process of standing up yes, but he was still down, because his knee touched the ground. The whole point being that his knee was still down when he lost control. The rule is probably formulated something along the lines of "if a receiver falls while making the catch he must retain possesion while on the ground", having a knee down means you're on the ground, thus it's incomplete.

Had it been NCAA rules it would have been an interception, because the play would be ruled dead as soon as he hits the ground.

Well, whatever, as I said it's a matter of definition. My point is that it was initially ruled an interception, Dungy threw the red hanky, the referee looked at the replays and overturned the call, making it an incomplete pass.

8. STF

STF "blank"

I didnt see the play myself... But when I read your (pucks) descrition of it. It sounds, to me, as it was an INT. If the ref didnt blow the whistle when the ball first popped out, then it wasnt an incompletion, especially not if the ball went out after his knee hit the ground.

but as said... I didnt see the play myself. Do anyone of you have a video clip of the play?

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

finally, I feel like we have some closure now

to each his own I guess

i'm going to stick by my guns and say that it was a bad call
    and it must have been because the ref has a review scheduled for this week

10. Titantonic

Titantonic Camp Fodder

The NFL has now said the call was blown. It was an interception (per NFL Network)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar