troupe vs. witten

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mrfatface, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

RyansTitans post was not nonsense. Troupe is an emerging talent with greater athletic ability than Witten. In time, I think Troupe could be recognized as one of the best TE's in the league, but that's just speculation.
    Troupe has shown flashes of greatness, and given the starting role we could see more. Would not be from nowhere if he shines.

2. Nine

Nine Starter

Apples and oranges, folks.

Witten is more of a traditional TE....and a helluva good one. He's easily one of the top TE's in the league. The guy is so good, it's hard to single out any specific strength....he can do it all.

Troupe is different animal entirely.....more of a new-generation TE. He's not a particularly strong blocker, but he's ridiculously athletic, like a WR trapped in a TE's body. He's very difficult for a single tackler to bring down....he usually makes at least one or two defenders miss, and it often takes two or three guys to finally drag him down. (I believe his record is five guys...he was still pressing forward even with four guys hanging on him). He's not among the most well-rounded TE's in the league, but for excitement and playmaking ability, he stands alone.

3. mrfatface

mrfatface Guest

I am not doubting that witten's stats are better. I still think Ben Troupe is better. I have seen witten play too many times thanks to fox loving the cowgirls. Having said that I would still take troupe. He will be better than what frank wycheck was in his prime and that is pretty darn good.

4. maximus

maximus Starter

Right now, Witten is loads better than Troupe, but if Troupe continues to work and get better, Troupe's athletic ability will make him an Antonio Gates type TE

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

No excuses. Troupe has in no way produced like Witten. Product of our offense, injury, our OC/scheme or talent- I dunno. He has underproduced for a 2nd rounder.

I hope that changes Sunday. He does have incredible YAC ability- when he can hold on to the ball.

6. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

I was expecting a lot more from Troupe, but as Collins a QB, he hasnt had much of an opportunity this year. I think the Young to Troupe Connection will start soon enough....I hope at least!

7. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Troupe isnt getting better fast because he has to share time with BO SCAFIE AND ERRON KINNEY, i mean really, if you dont get reps, you dont get better, just ask Vince Young

8. MacNine

MacNine Starter

Hate to say it, but Witten is the better TE. Witten has proven he can play.
    Troupe shows flashes. Remember, Calico showed flashes of being the next T.O. Where is Calico now?

9. Dcowboys#1

Dcowboys#1 Guest

You would take Troupe over a top 5 TE in the league, that is the whole package. I mean Witten is the #2 best TE in the NFC behind Alge Crumpler. I cant believe you would take Troupe because he has shown "flashes". Witten doesnt just show "flashes", he shows it all, all talent all game, every game, even when he is not catching balls, he is making great blocks and improving the offense. He doesnt just show a flash of some talent every once in a while, like most of you are saying Troupe is doing, because of the limited time he is receiving because of Kinney and Scafies(sp?).

I know one thing though, i sure as hell would take a guy that produces every game over a guy that just shows flashes of promise here and there, but hey thats just my opinion

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

That's pretty much what I'd say. Of course as a Titans fan I've seen all of Troupe since he's been here, but I'm also a Cowboys fan (my team before there were Titans), and I've probably seen 20 games of Witten as a Cowboy and many as a Vol.

I too wanted Witten as a Titan in 03, but it was the next best thing for me when Dallas got him.

Troupe is more athletic, and it's just freaking odd how he can break so many tackles. Witten is a little better with his hands and blocking (although he's not a great blocker).

Stats can't be solely looked at to compare the guys imo (and this stands true a lot of the time as we all know). Troupe would have been starting day 1 with many other teams. Fans have been screaming to get the guy the ball more, but that hasn't been happening in the first 3 games.

They are two different players, but I'd give the edge to Witten since he's simply done more and is more versatile to this point. I do think we've seen his ceiling, but probably haven't seen Troupe's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar