Troupe to be Used as Option Receiver

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: John Zernhelt was hired as TEs coach this past offseason with the mandate that he improve the unit's blocking, something that has been Ben Troupe's weakness. But if the Titans are going to get the most from Troupe, he needs to be flexible enough to make it all but impossible for an opposing defense to know what to expect when the offense breaks the huddle. "Everybody wants to make that big play to win the game, but sometimes to win the game it's a third-and-1," Troupe said. "If you want to come through in the clutch in the passing game but you're off the field in the run game then you're easy to game plan (against). When you're on the field in every situation they have to look out for whoever's in there, so that's what we're trying to do."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I love this idea. Possession situations or especially Troupe in the slot with Roby or Williams wide. Ouch!

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I like the sound of Troupe's commitment to blocking. I saw him hit the sled his rookie year and he left a lot to be desired. If he can be effective enough to be on the field sometimes in run situations, it'll open some opportunities for him in the passing game.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It's funny, his rookie year everyone was on his case about not grasping the playbook/offense.

Now the guy is a monster.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think you have to take everything with a grain of salt the first week of camp. Troupe should be ready to breakout but I don't see him ever being close to the blocker Scaife and Kinney are. Unless he dramatically improves blocking, he is a liability on run plays (at least to his side).

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I've always thought he was built more like a possession receiver. What kind of speed does he have? As a slot receiver he would give nickel and CB's fits, not to mention OLB's.

7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Troupe is the type of guy that Chow should really be able to take advantage of in terms of building mismatches. If we go 2 TE and 2 WR then the other team most likely is forced to stay in their base package. If they do that then it is easy to get Troupe matched up against a LB. If the team goes to a nickle package then you run the ball right at them.

If I were defending us I'd go with a big nickle package by bringing in an extra safety that might be better in coverage than a LB but not such a liability in the run game as a NB.

8. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

Troupe runs about a 4.6, which is great speed for his size. He's also hard to tackle. We need to find a way to get him the ball in the open field and just watch him make the play.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i've always felt we haven't gotten him the ball enough. the guy can make plays after the catch, just ask champ baily or ray buchanon.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WnElINuH39Y"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WnElINuH39Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar