Troupe Not Producing As Much As Expected

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Dunn might be getting less passing opportunities in Atlanta but it doesn't appear to have hurt Crumpler's opportunities. Teams find ways to get the ball in the hands of their playmakers.

Bottom line, if Troupe was making the plays, he'd be taking more opportunities away from Scaife and the WRs.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

You just contradicted yourself didn't you? In Crumpler's case it is the "team" that gets the ball to their playmakers which means plays are scripted for Crumpler and the QB actually throws him the ball as part of the execution.

The only way to place all the blame on Troupe would be if we saw VY looking his way and because Troupe wasn't getting open or was running the wrong route or something VY had to look off him to throw to someone else. Considering VY is basically not looking to the TEs, especially the last couple of games isn't Troupe's or Scaife's fault. Remember Scaife has only caught one pass the last two games as well.

What amazes me, new TE coach or not, is how Chow's offense has gone from a short pass, dump off to the TE and RB offense to a throw the ball more down field. Nothing wrong considering we wanted to see more mid level passes but it is like it is all or nothing. Like the article said, we need somewhere between the 41% of last year to the TEs and the 21% of this year.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think so. It means even with a QB who passes as poorly as Vick usually does, Crumpler gets a good number of touches because he is the team's biggest playmaker in the passing game. If you are saying Troupe isn't getting scripted for as many plays, that may be true. But if Troupe was producing with his opportunities, not missing assignments, etc., I would think Chow would call his number more often since the Titans seem to lack playmakers in the passing game.

Troupe has been spread out wide at times to create mismatches which tells me that they have and do run plays designed to make him the #1 option. For whatever reason, that isn't paying off so far this season.

I agree. No need to throw the football much when the running game is doing so well. Keep them in to block. But we have three games with Collins in the mix too and Troupe still didn't produce as much as Scaife.

I remember reading an article before the season about how Troupe was focusing much more on blocking. It appears the new coach may be putting a bigger emphasis on the TEs to take care of their blocking assignments first which may be paying off for the run game and giving Young enough time to find the WRs.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Note also our use of the FB..

Hall has eaten into the reps that both scaife and troupe have been getting. We are using less 2 TE sets because they want hall in there more to help our running game.

Jeff made a reference to crumpler of the falcons but we have to understand that the WR on the falcons have only caught 38 balls. The falcons leading receiver only has 15 catches. That's not normal. Note the the falcons have even fewer pass receptions than the titans..

Riverman makes a good point about scaife. With troupe's mediocre play and scaife playing well they are basically sharing the reps 50-50 when you would hope that troupe would just take over that position and make it his..

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Troupe vs calico...

I don't see the similarity. Calico's career was ruined by injury before we had the chance to really know if he was a bust or not. He was looking great in the preseason of 2004(Just his second camp) until that roy williams tackle that sidelined him and then the coaches brought him back too soon and he tore his knee up.

Troupe has been a producer for us the last 2 seasons and i think ultimately he will do fine. He is a streaky player who will go several games with just one or 2 catches and then have a big game. He might come out on sunday with 7 catches and all this talk will end.

7. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I concur. Damn shame, too. Every time I read the name Calico the film plays in my head of his knees getting bent all outta whack, and I flinch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar