Travis Henry likely to be cut on Saturday

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Starkiller, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Lets draw any recievers name besides brandon jones out of a hat (Williams, Roby, etc.), to deciede who our #2 reciever is.......
    No one in their right mind can be content with that, so WR is the #1 priority, a vet backup rb to lendale is #2 (We have to give Lendale a chance), mlb #3,cb #4(May change depending on if our Gm thinks we can win a game without PacMan)(>_>)

2. Bobo

Bobo Guest

They probably know as much of what to expect for next year or the year after as the rest of us. They probably see the risk in letting TH walk and handing the job to LW too. Just like many things in the league, this is very far from cut and dry. We may not know for awhile if he is or isn't worth it.

Yeah they could extend some guys, and I'm all for that. Looking at our roster, there's not a lot of big time talent that I think needs long term deals right away. The chances of spending big money on a FA seem unlikely. Seems like we have a good chunk of money, and probably not a lot of great ways to spend it.

Has he earned it as much as Henry? They should be planning all along, not just on draft day. Things change. Maybe they are dead set on it, do you think that's the best method of making a roster?

So what do we owe Henry yearly after this year? If it's basically 3 years left at 11M, sure sounds like it's less than Fred's deal after this year.

As for Holmes, he was an undrafted backup for 4 years. Then he had two great years, but I'm sure KC knew they had a great line as well. They spent a 1st on LJ, but still decided to keep Holmes and I bet he's the starter to this day if it weren't for his injury.

It is bit different, but still similar. They spent a higher pick on Perry. Before '04, Rudi had done nothing compared to what Henry had. They had less to go on concerning Rudi's abilities than we do Henry's, and they had more invested in Perry. I can see them staying with Rudi, and it is similar to us with Henry.

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well, I see I typed wrong, I meant to write 4.4 as the avg. Calculated from the +1000 yards runners (-Vick) as found here http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RYDS/2006/regular

4. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Whom was listed as our starter, Travis or Chris?

5. What the hell does that have to do with anything?

6. I think you'll see that the money will get spent easily enough before the season starts.

Henry has a proven track record, and I am not going to argue otherwise. But this is the norm in the NFL. Draft young players to replace expensive veterans...

Unless Henry had some other bonus in his contract, they wouldn't have owed him much after this year's haul (but I don't know about later bonuses). That said, Henry would have been paid almost double what Fred Taylor will get in 2007. So it wasn't good value for the Titans since they already had a RB who can start and has major potential.

The reason they drafted Perry is because Rudi had never been a starter previously (they traded Corey Dillon the year they drafted Perry). But then he broke out the year they drafted Perry, and Perry got hurt. So while LenDale White at least averaged 4 ypc on 61 carries, Perry had all of 2 carries and 1 yard to judge him by.

And more importantly, Rudi Johnson was not in nearly the same situation as Henry is. As I said, he was 3 years younger and had no drug suspensions. Plus he was coming off a 1450 yard season, and the year before he had over 950 yards and 4.5 ypc while splitting carries. And the only reason he didn't have a more proven track record was that he was behind Dillon on the depth chart.

So I'd say a the appropriate comparison with the Bengals is not Rudi Johnson and Chris Perry. It's Corey Dillon and Rudi Johnson...

7. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I knew something didn't feel right about the 4.7 avg you mentioned.

So his avg is 8th best in the NFL.. which is very good.
    Only these 7 RBs have a better average:

Frank Gore
    LaDainian Tomlinson
    Tiki Barber
    Brian Westbrook
    Fred Taylor
    Joseph Addai
    Ladell Betts

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

How do you think we'll spend it?

Yes that happens. And LW could be our next Woolfolk, Calico, CB, Byron Frisch, Shad Meier, etc.

Staying healthy, getting in shape, no more tude problems, and how much potential is there? Big assumptions.

9. I'd like them to extend Roos and Bell. And they will sign a few free agents, just not the top money guys. It all goes very quickly if you give guys roster bonuses instead of signing bonuses...

First off, Frisch and Meier were late 3rd round picks and neither were handed a job (that's pretty rare for a 3rd round pick). Secondly, I'm not saying he can't be a bust, but I have no reason yet to believe that he will be. Woolfolk was a bust, so it happens (Calico could have been good if not for the knee injury). Third, LenDale could just as easily be the next Eddie George once he gets a chance to prove himself, but if you keep Henry you probably won't give him the chance to find out...

The Titans were obviously convinced, so I'm trusting their judgment. If they don't have faith in White then they will find someone else. Simple as that.

10. BTW, I read that Henry asked for a $12M signing bonus as part of his contract renegotiations, as per Sirius (not official)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar