Travis Henry Cut

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by vslyke, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

lol because everyone knew Henry would be cut right?

You're really driving up a long list is idiotic things to say.

2. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

:dead:

He's one drug test away from a year long suspension. IMO, he got cut because the Broncos found out he was still smoking the mary jane. Also, he's an idiot who can't manage his money because he can't handle his johnson. He had to borrow money from us to make ends meet. If we have to get another RB, get Kevin Jones. Don't bother with Henry.

3. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Go with Jones not Henry.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Nice analysis as usual gunny like there is none.

Yes an intelligent GM and coach can look around the league and make an educated guess who might be available. An intelligent knowledgeable person could guess that henry would be a likely cap casualty based on his contract and past history.

We knew rhodes was out the door the minute the raiders drafted mcfadden. Well i did maybe you had no clue.

I would love to see some of your deep analysis as to why chris johnson was a great pick though i doubt you have the courage to actually have an opinion on the matter.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Vslyke, you do understand that henry will likely be making little more than the vet minimum right? Not a big risk we would be taking.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Good RBs cheap..

During the free agent period there was good value on at least 2 RBs.

Derrick ward ,the giants RB was available for 15 days of free agency before the giants resigned him for a one year deal @ $1.1M. ward led giant backs with a 4.8 ypc over 600 yards and caught 26 passes. A 2 year $2.5M deal would have put him in two tone blue.

Mewelde moore, a solid career backup with speed moore was signed out for $1.66M a year. A 3 year $6M deal would have brought him here with his 4.9 career ypc and good pass receiving skills. From 04-06 moore averaged 37 catches a year. A nice complimentary back to lendale.

TJ duckett, a bit pricier at $2.5M a year duckett would have put to rest the silly notion of a change of pace back. Instead we just beat the hell out of people. If there was concern over lendale's knee duckett would have been the ideal insurance policy.

Looking just for some depth labrandon toefield and maurice hicks were available for almost nothing. Hicks is a solid kick return guy as well as a capable back up.

We had inexpensive options. We didn't need to waste out 24th pick on a kick returner. Sorry if that causes some to run crying for mommy.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Turn the Tide...

Based on his original contract, yes you could guess he'd likely be a cap casualty...but NOT after they redid it and he's only playing for 1mil a year (way underpaid for his production). But even if you correctly assumed he'd be available, why would you want him? He appears to either be back on the drugs, is one suspnsion away from being gone for the year, and if he can't manage his money when he's making millions (and doesn't get his act together when he DOES get his big payday), it's better to NOT have him on our roster. If you recall, part of cleaning up the league is not only hurting the players when they mess up, it's gonna be hurting the teams as well and we don't need the double wammy of singing Travis, have him fail a drug test, he gets suspended for a year and then Goodell comes down on the Titans for continually drafting and signing 'bad eggs.'

I agree that there will be solid RB's available...probably better than the WR's that will become available...but the Titans obviously thought CJ was too good to pass up. Now we have to hope he works out the way they imagine he will.

Dude, are the personal attacks really necessary? I don't mind you making inflammatory statements about players or drafts or coaches, but frequently you make claims and they get challenged by various posters...as your thoughts have in this thread. Myself and others have described the good and the bad of drafting CJ in rnd 1. Myself and others have described all the creative uses our OC could do with CJ and all the benefits he can give the team as a RB (in multiple sets and personel packages) in a traditional backfield spot or aligned (or motioned) out wide.

So your derogatory personal comments "I doubt you have the courage to actually have an opinion on the matter" are not helpful to a meaningful discussion and best left to a trash-talk forum.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

What's your definition of 'good?'

Spending 2mil/yr on a backup RB is 'good' value?

I thought you said people's value was based on the market. So wouldn't you saying we should pay more than they got suggest you think we should overpay backup rb's? Ward is a nice back but no one...even in NY is sold on him (which is why he only got 1 yr). The Titans should have paid him more and signed him for 2?

So now you want to pay a career backup RB (and didn't you say avg rb's get 35 catches a year?) 2mil a year for 3 years?

Don't we already have 2 big backs on the roster...and both getting paid a decent amount...you now want to get a 3rd guaranteeing 2 will be on the bench...and pay more for that? No thanks!

First they were good...now we're looking for capable. What is your definition of 'capable?'

Crying for mommy? Why would anyone go crying to their mommy because you attempted to make a point...

Yes, we had inexpensive options and there will ALWAYS be inexpensive options. Of course, with most inexpensive options you either get personel red flags, age issues, injury issues, or more commonly...talent issues. None of the above players have the same upside as CJ does (which is why he went in rnd 1 and they have proved themselves to be backups). CJ is also a more explosive player than any of the above. Did we need him? No. But that's the choice the Titans made. Get used to it.

Gut

9. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

10. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

You know RT.. Chris Johnson will most likely do more than be a kick returner.

Anyway, i'd gladly have Devin Hester at 24th with the knowledge we know about him. To cut to the point, hindsight is 20/20.

Travis Henry was cut june 1st. The draft was a month and a half ago. He has been pegged the starter for a while now, and they're havent been that many rumors that he would be cut... Its not shocking that he got cut, but you make it sound like an inevitability.

Plus, I don't think the Titans want Henry back anyway, even if he would come cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar