TRAINING CAMP BATTLE - 12a - Backup QB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Jul 13, 2007.

?

Who will back up Vince?

Poll closed Jul 15, 2007.
  1. Kerry Collins

36.0%
  2. Tim Rattay

64.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No, it's very easy. Just sign a passable but not great starter to a bad team, give him just 2 weeks to learn the offense, and then throw him to the wolves (including 2 playoff teams to open the season).

Collins is no great shakes, but he has made a career of being a decent starter who tends to have a QB rating in the mid 70's. Last year he never had a chance.

2. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Nor did Volek.

3. As I established months ago, that's because he pissed off the coaches. Once he did that, they signed Collins.

4. AlaTitan

AlaTitan Guest

Does anyone really know what Volek did to piss off the Titans that warrented emergency signing of Collins? I can't believe Volek would have been so bad to start the year.

5. He got into a shouting match with Chow that Fisher overheard. Chow criticized Volek's running of the offense and Volek blew up and said that Chow's offense was the problem.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Collins was so bad last year, I voted for Rattay. I don't think you can rest on Collins' laurels, cause it was that bad. Even if he didn't know the offense, it was still football, some of his natural talent should have kicked in at some point. But his throws did not look good either. The Jets try to hand him the victory Aad he wouldn't take it. I saw in Collins nothnig more than a dead duck falling off his barstool, hitting the floor, Watching his drink spill along the muddy floor, and then asking the bartender for another drink from where he lay.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

2 weeks? He actually had 6 weeks and never improved as each week came. He's a pro quarterback and he continued to say that he knew the offense, so he killed the excuse you're using for him.
    Find me another QB that's had a rating of 1.3. I don't care if they pulled a guy out of the stands, he'd do better than a 1.3.

8. Check a calendar sometime. I'm sure someone can tell you how they work...

He was signed August 28. Game 1 was on September 10 (just under 2 weeks later). His 3rd and final start was September 24 (less than a month later).

QBs don't just learn an offense overnight. It takes weeks to even get a basic handle on it. To get a grasp enough to expect a QB to be able to manage the offense efficiently, it would be months.

Hell, that wasn't even the worst performance last year. In fact, another former high first round pick turned in a 0 qb rating as a starter (on 17 passes). Joey Harrington, to be specific, on December 17.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

ahh more of that irreplaceable knowledge ey?

Collins was signed after the third game of pre-season.

http://media.www.dailytexanonline.c...Signs.With.The.Tennessee.Titans-2249552.shtml

And regardless you think 2 weeks or 6 weeks makes a difference? Most need a full off-season to know the playbook and get in rhythm with the players.

Superbowl starting QB Rex Grossman. Had a rating of 1.3 and 0.0 last season. Also had a game of 10.2

10. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

Lots of people seem to think that Collins is terrible around here...:wack:

I agree he was awful at the start of last season, but I don't think anyone could have succeeded in that situation.

I would imagine KC could provide very solid (if not Romo/Huard like) backup play if required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar