Trading for vet players...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Jul 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

WR was a position of concern for us with uncertainty over Britt's injury. That's why we drafted a WR in rd 1.

But look what a 3rd and 5th rd pick could have gotten us.

Brandon Lloyd and Brandon Marshall, both of them! 2 of the most productive Wrs in the league the last 3 years and both still in their prime. They combined for over 150 catches last season.

Cap hit is always a concern of course because draft picks make much less but remember that if a player has an existing contract the SB has already been paid and would not be prorated on our cap.

The cap hits for those players respectively are $4M and $9M so the combined hit the next 3 seasons would be $13M. Well worth it if you ask me. And if Lloyd who is 31 is showing his age a year or 2 down the road you can just release him and pay no penalty and of course no salary and no cap hit for that year.

Remember when the Patriots used a 2nd rd pick on a young Wes Welker? He was a rfa but the Pats didn't want the fins to have the option to match their offer so they gave a 2nd in a straight trade.

That same year the Pats got moss for a 4th. How did those 2 guys work out?

Every year there are always good vet players either on the trading block or released outright who can upgrade your team. Wimbley was such a player.

Rather than rely on a draft pick who may or may not be what you hoped why not use a much lower pick to get a proven guy?

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

It was my understanding Brandon Lloyd was going to follow Josh McDaniels wherever he landed, so IMO there was never much chance of any team outside New England getting Lloyd.

Brandon Marshall was given away for a reason, he is seriously unstable. He's had at least 4 altercations with his wife where the cops had to get involved, shes even stabbed him. He's been in trouble for not knowing how to drive, and gotten in fights. He's a loose cannon, no thanks. Pacman 2.0?

Usually talent will supersede baggage, but when you're both mentally ill, and an idiot, I'd rather stay away. He could end up dead at any moment, seriously. Then what........

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think JC hit the nail on the head. If it was only about talent, then it's a no-brainer that these guys are worth giving up mid to late-round picks to have on the roster. But you have to weigh the potential benefits against whatever baggage they carry. Are these guys right for the system? Are these guys going to work with a young QB?

Lloyd has a rep for not working and bad attitude. Maybe he's matured but I can see why teams don't want to risk adding a cancer to their locker room.

Marshall, as JC said, has some big questions marks surrounding his character. He's been suspended by the league, his own team and has more off-field stuff than Pacman. No denying the man's talents but you have to wonder why the Dolphin's would trade a 1,200 yard receiver.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

No Asante?

That was the biggest we've passed on IMO. CB isn't a huge need, but we would've helped immensely. Better than Finnegan and much cheaper.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Oh and also, we have added veteran players instead of taking chances on rookies. Both Wimbley and Hutchinson filled voids many expected a rookie from the draft to have to fill. Before free agency most of us figured we'd take a defensive or offensive lineman with the 1st or 2nd pick. Adding those two vets made us not have to do that.

I know they weren't trading for, but same idea right.. Acquire a proven player instead of risking a rookie screwing it up...

And yea Asante would be better than Finnegan, that is, until he had to tackle someone. He just wasn't right for us, not physical enough.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Mawae was a prime example of how this can work well. He provided leadership, attitude and experience to a young OL.

The only downside to such a move is that, if the team has been drafting well, someone who may be ready to make the step to a starting role is held back. I'm not saying Harris would be the starting C now but he was being groomed when Mawae was here, and, IMO, outplayed him the last couple of seasons when given the opportunity.

7. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I've heard that Brandon Marshall is literally bi-polar. Like he takes medication for it and such. Seems like he's turned things around a little bit.

I do like the idea of trading mid to late round picks for vets who can come in and help immediately. I'm hoping someone like that comes available during training camp. Hopefully at center!

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I do not think Marshall would have mixed well with our team. Granted it would have been nice seeing someone that big right beside Britt, but guy is a nutcase, glad we ended up with Wright.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I don't see how anyone could not want us to trade for Brandon Lloyd. You are talking about a 5th rounder. You'd be scared to trade for Lloyd because he MIGHT be a headcase? A 5th rounder??

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

The Lloyd thing was very puzzling, but pretty much every team in the NFL made the same decision. Makes me think there was something more to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar