Trading for a 2nd round pick

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TorontoTitanFan, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

How about looking at it like Jared Cook is our 2nd round pick in 2010. He did nothing at all last season, so he might as well be the needed rookie TE we'd be picking in this years draft. Scaife was expected to be let go, and Crumpler may also be gone so a Cook-like TE would have been what we drafted this draft anyways.

2. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

That's a better way of looking at it JC. Much more positive than saying we "wasted" that pick on Cook. I seriously doubt that anyone signs any of our RFAs at all, much less before the draft. So we're almost certainly not gonna have a 2nd. And Jared Cook as our 2nd round pick this year is d@mn fine with me as long as he sees the field a lot more.

3. titansfan89

titansfan89 Starter

If the Pats are interested in Scaife, perhaps we could trade him for a 2nd?

4. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

That would be awesome. Let's hope that some team out there does want him. I like Bo and all, but I'm not sure that he's worth that kind of money.

Our system and philosophy will only allow him to put up 50-60 catches and 500-600 yards, at best. That's too rich a salary IMO.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Bashing the Cook pick makes no sense. First of all Cook may not have shown much yet but he has shown enough that we could have drafted a heck of a TE before it is all over with. Secondly, MR saw we were going to need a TE in this draft considering there was a good chance Crumpler and Scaife would both be gone and Stevens is more of a blocking TE. It would be nice to have a TE who can contribute on offense more than a converted OT would. Cook could end up being the real deal. His measurables are off the charts and he looked good in camp. I don't know if he can be our version of Jason Witten or Gates but he has the tools to be that kind of guy.

TEs like WRs often take year or so to develop into quality offensive threats. Now we have a young TE who isn't coming in this year as a rookie but already has a year under his belt. Actually the Pats might have been smarter to have drafted Cook themselves. They lost Watson and could use a pass receiving TE to take his place.

Bottom line don't bash the pick after only one year. Give the kid a chance first. He might end up playing like a 1st rounder.

6. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

dont worry about Cook, he is gonna be awesome, they just didnt want to force him into a lot his rookie season.

They will cut him lose and make him earn that 2nd round pick.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The most viable way to get late into rd 2 would be to trade our 3rd and 4th rd picks. We are getting a 3rd rd comp pick anyway and if we trade lendale would get another.

To do that would mean we would want a particular player with that 2nd rd pick. We wouldn't just trade to get the pick we would trade to get the player we want.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Way too soon to judge our draft from last year.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm sure the Titans know this, but Cook can kill defenses by only running laterally across the field. He'll lose the backers within split seconds. I think the pick wasn't made for 2009, more of a 2010 advanced decision.

10. customtitan

customtitan Special Teams Standout

no one said they automatically bust....its insanely dumb to misread what was said.
    yes the titans have had SOME 2nd rounds that werent terrible. but to imply that this CURRENT FO is good at scouting 2nd rounders is absurd. lendale has been the best 2nd rounder in a while, but other than him and roos...what do we have to show for it in the last 6 years?

i thought it was pretty clear what was being said, but ill try once more....
    its not very wise to bet the farm or give it up as well on a 2nd round draft pick. us trading away too much for a 2nd rounder is not very smart, because this teams potential to mess it up is too high...

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar