Trading for a 2nd round pick

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TorontoTitanFan, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

(Edit: Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum. Meant to put it in the draft forum. Mods please move it. Thanks)

There has been lots of discussion about the Titans trading for a 2nd round pick to replace the pick the team traded to the Patriots to get Jared Cook.

It seems like most people seem to think that the Titans will somehow be able to package a 3rd and a 4th to move up into the second round (which would probably still leave the Titans with a 3rd round pick since most people expect the Titans to get a 3rd round compensatory pick for Hayneworth).

I don't see a deal like this happening. The price to move up into the second round has been set in previous years. To move up to the 2nd round in 2010, it will more than likely cost a 2011 1st round pick.

• The Broncos traded up into the 2nd round in 2009. They gave up a 2010 1st.
    • The Panthers traded up into the 2nd round in 2009. They gave up a 2010 1st.
    • The Colts traded up in the 2nd round in 2009. They gave up a 2009 2nd and 2009 5th.
    • On the other side of things, Seattle traded up into the 2nd round in 2009. They gave up their 3rd and 4th round picks in 2009 (although it's important to remember that these picks were at the beginning of these rounds).

Why does everyone around here think it will be possible for the Titans to trade into the 2nd round without giving up a 2011 1st? If we take a look at the precedent that has been set in the market, it seems clear that it will be very difficult to trade up into the 2nd round without giving up a lot.

I think we can all agree that it would be a terrible idea to trade a 2011 first just to get a 2010 2nd, even if there's a player the Titans love.

I admit that it may be possible to package several picks and perhaps even a player (Lendale possibly), but I just don't see it happening. I get the feeling that the Titans just won't be making any selections in the 2nd round this year, which means that it's very important that the Titans get the right guy in round 1.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Very well said. I couldn't agree with you more. As much as i would love to say i really want a 2nd round pick this year, i just don't see it happening. Guess i'll just face the fact that Jared Cook is our 2010 2nd round pick.

3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Well if people think they can just trade our 1st then get a 1st and 2nd, they're stupid. That has a .001% chance of happening.

Here's some trades that I would like if the Titans did them:
    • 2008: Ravens to Jaguars. Baltimore traded its first-round selection to Jacksonville for Jacksonville's first-round selection, two third-round selections, and fourth-round selection (No. 26, 71, 89, 125).
    • 2008: Houston traded its first-round selection to Baltimore for the first-round and third-round selection Baltimore acquired from Jacksonville, and a sixth-round selection (No. 26, 89, and 173).
    • 2008: Seahawks to Cowboys. Seattle traded its first-round (25) selection to Dallas for Dallas' remaining first-round selection (No. 28) and its fifth- and sixth-round selections.
    • 2009: #5: Cleveland to New York Jets. Cleveland traded its first-round selection (5th overall) to the Jets for the Jets' first- and second-round selections (17th overall.

Examples:
    Jimmy Clausen falls to the Titans pick. Which is very possible, remember Brady Quinn? Then another team really wants to Clausen, but if they don't trade with the Titans, the 49ers (pick behind us) would probably draft him. So if the Cardinals wanted to trade up for him. The Cards could trade their 1st (26) and a 3rd for our 1st, not a 2nd but i'd take it.

C.J. Spiller is available at the Titans pick. The Chargers still need a RB, would they trade up for Spiller? It's possible.

What if Gerald McCoy falls. If Suh doesn't go first. The Lions need OL help. The Bucs take Suh. It's very possible for him to fall, unlikely though.

--Basically if a big name player falls, the Titans could try to pickup a late 1st and a 3rd. etc.

The 2009 trade is what everyone wants, but they had the 5th pick, which is alot more valued. More than likely if the Titans wanted a 2nd, they would have to either do a 1st and 3rd for late 1st and 2nd; Or throw in a player (LenDale, Thornton, Scaife, etc)

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Also if the Titans didn't blow last years draft we would be set. Seriously Ryan Mouton in the 3rd round? He was projected 6th-7th round. We could of easily drafted Jared Cook with our 3rd, then gotten Mouton in the 4th/5th round.

I wish Sean Smith (CB - Fins) would of fallen one more spot in the 2nd. That way the Titans could of gotten him. He would be a great help on the team. Then we wouldn't of traded our 2nd, and wouldn't of wasted a pick on Sen'Derrick Marks. Also we wouldn't be drafting a CB in the first round more than likely.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

[​IMG]

Gonna take a lot of arm to throw in 25!

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I actually asked Kuharsky last week in his chat about packaging our 3rd rounder with LenDale for a second and he said something to the effect that "it's not the worst idea I've ever heard." That would also leave us a third rounder assuming we get a compensatory for Big Al.

I've always wondered if Jared Cook would have been there by the time we picked. I'm also wondering about Sen'Derrick Marks. Do you all think he will live up to his 2nd round status?

7. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

We will miss that second round pick this year. I think we made a big mistake giving it away last year to draft Cook. I think he would have been there on our pick.
    Looking at how deep the DEs are this year, I would think that we could draft a CB or a DT in the first, then gone after the best available DE in the second.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Why do we need to be in the 2nd round?

9. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

quick answer; with the CBA issue unresolved; there is a glut of talent in this years draft. This draft is really deep with late 2nd rounders that will be drafted holding first round grades.

10. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Why do we need a 2nd rounder? Are you kidding me! I'm guessing you don't watch the draft to ask a question like that. This is a real deep draft and if we had a 2nd rounder, we could get a shot at drafting a Terrance Cody type player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar