Trade the 8th pick?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by gran54, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gran54

gran54 Starter

Why not? From what I've heard and read New England might be looking to trade up and their not the only ones, but they have the fire power to do it.
    My scenario: Trade our 8th pick for their 17th and 33rd
    17: Cameron Jordan DE/DT Cal or JJ Watt DE/DT Wisconsin
    33: Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas or Christian Ponder QB FSU or Andy Dalton QB TCU
    39: Martez Wilson LB Illinios or Marvin Austin DT North Carolina or Stephen Paea DT OSU

I believe if this did happen it would be a draft day deal, but what do you think? Do you think we would trade back and if so who with and for what?

2. XO

XO Nevada Native

Everyone is always a fan of trading down. Guessing hypothetical draft day trades is even more ridiculous than mock drafts.
    Why would NE want to move up to eight?
    I think the Titans are in a great position to pick up someone who could contribute immediately.
    Trading down and hoping to get a QB is risky. I think there will be a first round run on quarterbacks. I could see Newton and Gabbert coming off the board in the top 5 and that could force Tennessee to reach on the next QB at eight.

3. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

We draft at 8 we probably get a impact player, we draft at 16 or w/e we get a goodish player. I'd rather stay at 8, we have enough goodish starters, we need some superstar power, especially on defense.

4. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

They moved up to 10 for Jerod Mayo. If they see someone like that in this draft class they may do it.

That said, to move up to our spot would, on the draft chart, require both their firsts and some change, and I don't know if they'll do that in a class chock-full of Bellichek's favorite position to draft early, D-line.

The two players I can see teams trading up for with us are Prince Amukamara and Julio Jones, getting in ahead of Dallas and Washington respectively. And frankly if Amukamara's there we're better off just taking him.

5. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

No they didnt.

New England got the 8th overall pick because the 49ers stupidly traded them a 1st and 4th round pick in order to draft a rookie offensive lineman the year before

They then traded with New Orleans to move down to 10 before taking Mayo

(it's actually believed that part of the trade down was that they wanted him but they felt his value/worth wasn't high enough to warrant 8th overall (and the contract that would come with it))

6. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

Ack, my bad. Thanks for correcting.

7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I would mind trading the #8 pick, depending who's on the board. We need a true impact player on defense. But say if AJ Green or Patrick Peterson falls to #8, teams will be throwing trade offers at us like crazy.

If we could pickup a 1st an a extra 2nd, I'd have to consider it. Say the Rams trade up for AJ or Lion trade up for PP, and give us there 1st and 2nd. We could get a decent player like JJ Watt (maybe), Cameron Jordan, DaQuan Bowers (if he falls due to his knee), or someone like that. Plus we'd then have an extra 2nd. It's quite a dream, but always possible.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

It always sounds like a great idea to trade down, but there are rarely teams that want to trade up into the top 10 because it is just so, so costly to do so. Every single year, the Patriots have a ton of draft picks and someone says that they want to trade up. They never do.

I think trading down is very unlikely for the Titans.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm all for it, but how far are we talking? If we can move back a few spots, and still get a JJ Watt kind of guy, then yes, let's make it happen. We could then use w.e. we received for moving back along with our pick at 39 to move back into the 1st to get one of these QB's.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Trading down may be our best bet to help our team become competitive right away. I like your scenario gran but I think to assure yourself of getting one of those QB's you'd need to trade both 2nds to move back up into the first and get the QB you like. Getting a good defensive player then getting the QB you like, both in the first would be an A+ draft.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar