Trade out of 3rd round!!! (2010 edition)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Alex1939, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

My position is that if we don't have single starter from the 3rd round drafted in the 2000s, our drafting sucks.

2. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

And that is a silly train of thought altogether. You want every pick to blossom into an all-star, but in the third, you should just hope for a player that makes the team, and makes some kind of positive contribution.

This isn't franchise mode on Madden.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with one or two starting TE's this season, both drafted in the third.

3. Alex1939

So in other words you are totally happy with our prior 3rd round picks and are happy to never have a future longterm Titans starter taken in the 3rd round.

Front office, don't listen to this guy!

4. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

What team fields a roster of starters picked in the third round? Expecting any third round pick to become a full time starter is an exercise in futility. Hoping they will is another story. Your assertion that a third round pick has to successfully play as a full time starter or they are not worthy of their draft position has no precedence. Not that many third round picks actually become full time starters in the NFL, not just players we draft.

Players can contribute without being starters. Others are late bloomers. I still count these players as being worthy of their draft position. Compared to their peers drafted in the third round, this is par.

And yes, I've been disappointed many times on players we have selected in the third, as well as the first, second, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh rounds. Name a fan of ANY team that hasn't been.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Let me help out on this Alex.

First rounders get 5 weeks in my book to start (1-10). Picks 11-32 get til week 12.
    Second rounders get one full season to figure it out.
    Third rounders get two seasons to get their butt on the field making meaningful plays.
    Fourth-Sixth get three seasons to pull it together.
    And seventh rounders are wild-cards. They cold be solid players or be gone in 2 seasons.

6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

7. Alex1939

I just don't think it's too much to ask that 1 3rd round pick a decade becomes a starter for the Titans for at least 5 years.

Based on the responses here, I guess I'm wrong.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

i'm sorry alex is on the money. check my list in my previous post, almost every pick in the past decade was a waste (for one reason or another, again check my earlier post)

To whoever siad that 3rd round is not important - please go check nfl.com/draft and just look at the at the talent found in the 3rd round for the past decade and tell me we did not waste alot of picks

Jermichael Finley, Jamal Charles, S Slaten, gore, justin tuck, kirk morrison, darnell docket, nick hardwick, lance briggs, jason witten, ricky manning, westbrook, even our very own chris hope, derrick burgess, adrian wilson, steve smith, coles, darrell jackson, joey porter, mike mckenzi, olin kreutz, leonard little, trotter, mike goff, hines ward ......

i gave u a list of players that were at one point or still are STARS forget just starters....sure some of them fell (note for various reasons) but don't tell me there isnt great talent to be found in the 3rd

9. BigD73OT

BigD73OT NFL Free Agent

You cant base how a guy will do in the league based on where he was drafted. Cortland Finnegan and Tom Brady for example. Both 7th rounders and both Pro-Bowlers. Just because a guy doesn't put up sexy number or tests scores doesn't mean he won't do good in the league. Football is about more than how fast you can run or how smart you are. It's about having a feeling for the game, loosing yourself when you cross those white lines and just letting your body feel the game. If you think to much you'll think yourself into a hole and if you run to fast without feeling the hole, well, that just means you'll get tackled quicker.

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Yet if WE had drafted Chris Hope, he would be a bust according to some. The Steelers drafted him, and they didn't get a full five years out of him, therefor he's a wasted pick. :rolleyes:

You can find a similar list of players for every round. What you won't find is one team that drafts starters in the third round consistently. The chances of drafting a starter after round 1 drops, and even more so considerably after round 2.

Gathering a list of starters from all over the NFL that were drafted in the third doesn't substantiate some kind of reason we should only draft outside of the third round, especially considering we've had a fair share of hits compared to most teams in the league. We did get some decent years out of Chris Brown and Erron Kinney afterall.

I hope every player we draft becomes a starter and contributes toward a winning effort. However, drafted in the third, for them to remain on the team, I only expect them to make a contribution toward a winning effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar