Trade out of 3rd round!!! (2010 edition)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Alex1939, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigD73OT

BigD73OT NFL Free Agent

Craig Stevens will never be able to even hold Jason Witten's jock!

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I know right, where would the saints be without Courtney Roby's 1 catch for 6 yards. SUPERSTAR!

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Wow. Alex didn't understand how someone made a point. That's a first!

Jared Cook - Could be great.
    Ryan Mouton - Already hampered by injuries.
    Craig Stevens - Sucks.
    Paul Williams - Sucks.
    Courtney Roby - Not bad, and shows he's decent on the Saints. Another player our team couldn't utilize.
    Brandon Jones - When healthy was good. Another injury plagued player.
    Randy Starks - Pretty good, and the Dolphins love the guy.
    Rich Gardner - Blah.
    Chris Brown - A great pick that no one saw coming. Injuries have killed his career, but he was as effective as an NFL running back can be while playing. He averaged the most YPC of any back with as many carries.
    Rocky Calmus - blah.
    Shad Meier - blah.
    Erron Kinney - Everyone forget about how solid he was or something? He was our best TE for awhile until an injury ended his career.
    Byron Frisch - who?
    Zack Piller - Not bad.
    Dainon Sydney - who?

But here's the thing. We could do this with ANY round we've drafted in for the past 10 seasons. Our team just isn't great at drafting unless the pick is going to be coached by Washburn or playing DB.

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

He said "SPECIAL TEAMS". You don't catch passes on special teams, special Alex.

He was #11 in kick returns.

5. BigD73OT

BigD73OT NFL Free Agent

I'm going out on a limb and I know most of you will hate that I said this but...TRADE every pick we have to get to Number 1 and take Suh. Works free agency until it runs dry and pick up Suh...Super Bowl!!

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Assuming that our picks are enough to trade up 17 places. Without a 2nd rd pick i doubt that.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Jared Cook-Incomplete -Little to go on yet....

Ryan Mouton - Incomplete

Craig Stevens
    - D, will likely replace crumpler as our blocking TE but has shown little as a receiver.

Paul Williams
    - F

Courtney Roby
    - D Has proven himself to be a good KR guy.

Brandon Jones
    - C, showed great promise as a rookie but injuries have made him barely a #3 WR.

Randy Starks C+ - Not a bad pick at all. He played in 60 games for us and started 36 so how is that a waste? He just never improved from his 4.5 sacks his rookie year. One example of a guy who played better in another system away from Washburn's tutelage.

Rich Gardner - F

Chris Brown - C- Had one very productive year and was at least a decent backup. Injuries issues are the reason he wasn't a first rd pick so they can't say they were shocked.

Rocky Calmus -D+ Started to be a solid player for us until injuries basically ruined him. Was not injury prone at all in college and was a nice fit for our team

Shad Meier - waste

Erron Kinney -B+ Solid starting caliber TE for 6 years. Great blocker who was a capable receiver and his career ended while in his prime.

Byron Frisch - F

Zack Piller -B+ Solid starting guard for many years.

Dainon Sydney C- Solid NB and backup outside career ended way too soon from a knee injury.

I would look at 3rd and 4th rd picks together because they fit in the same category. Over a 10 pick span i would expect 6 serviceable players and one really good starter.

This mentality that any player who did not emerge as a star is a waste is just too superficial. Dainon sydney was a NB on our 99 and 2000 teams and tore a knee in the first game in 2001. No way he was a waste.

How could Starks be a waste when he averaged 9 starts and 3 sacks a season while here? Another thing looking at those 10 guys is that injuries did play a major role in many of those careers and how do you anticipate that?

8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

:facepalm:

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The coaching staff cut Roby loose and the colts cut him as well. Roby does one thing well and that is returning kicks and few teams will keep a guy just to do one thing. We cut him to make room for rookies Paul Williams and Chris Davis.

Brandon Jones was an upgrade decision the FO made. Instead of paying Jones $3M a year(He signed a 5 year $16.5M deal with the 49ers) we thought we could spend a little more and get a bigger impact player. That player was Nate Washington.

Nate Washington was more productive in 09 than Jones was in 08 so we can't argue with that move. They saw Jones as a run of the mill guy as opposed to Washington who they saw as a guy with the speed to make some big plays.

Jones in 08 41 catches 441 yards

Washington in 09 47 catches for 569 yards

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Not really a big difference between Washington and Jones production wise. I actually thought Jones was better well rounded, like Britt. Better potential.

MOST teams keep a player who's main contribution is returning kicks and punts. What the eff are you talking about? SOMEONE has to return kicks and punts, and usually, whoever it is doesn't get a lot of field time. No point in getting your starters injured if you can avoid it. If we had a dependable kick/punt returner this past season, we likely win at least two more games.

I'm not saying the FO should have kept Roby. They let him go so we could take a chance on another player, and I appreciate that. I am saying that whether he was a waste or not is subjective, and that he was probably worthy of a third round pick. We can say it was a waste for our team, sure, but if the player goes on to better his career, there's a good chance he could have done that here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar