Trade for 2012 draft picks?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Starkiller, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. With the NFL warning teams that the future of the draft in doubt, teams may be wary about trading for future picks. Or perhaps very willing to devalue them in order to move up this year.

Would you load up on 2012 picks that could be had potentially at a discount right now? For example, would you (were you GM) be willing to part with a 3rd rounder this year in exchange for a 1st next year? Or a 4th for a future 2nd?

I think the draft is an institution that the players don't really want to see wiped away. It's a big money maker for the NFL. The players are trying to make more money, they don't have any interest in shrinking the pie they want a bigger share of. It's not going away. And the Titans are rebuilding with no real hope in 2011, so they would benefit from discounted 2012 picks. I'm not sure these future picks will actually come cheaper than normal, but I'd look to add them if they could.

2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

If I were a GM I wouldn't devalue my 2012 picks one bit. The draft will be here in 2012, 2013, and every year after that. How would the NFL and NFLPA ever sell the elimination of the draft to the fans? "Sorry Titan fans, your team now has to outbid the Cowboys and Skins for the top rookie prospects." Please. Much ado about nothing IMO. I hope the NFL and the players realize what a freaking joke they are right now.

To answer your question, yes I would gladly trade my 3rd this year for a 2012 1st. Or a 2011 4th for a 2012 2nd. I just can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to make that trade with me.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I cant imagine anyone who would just throw away next years draft picks for a season that "may not" happen. So you're thinking we could give Oakland or Washington this years 3rd for their next years 1st? That's not happening. If I were a GM, all I'd be thinking is; "why kill next years draft when this draft may lead to nothing....."

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I don't believe for a second that anyone in the NFL actually believes the draft is going to go away. If anything, 2012 picks will be more valuable than 2011 picks because there will almost certainly be a rookie wage scale in 2012 and there might not be one in 2011. Sorry, but I just don't think the strategy you have proposed is viable.

5. 24

24 Starter

Yes, definitely. There's too much money involved in the draft process, no way is it deemed illegal. I posted somewhere else that the return on trading for future picks is almost 400%.

If we can get more than 400% in return, that would be amazing. Munchak has to be thinking forward, he can't be constantly worried about his job.

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

If there was no season how would they determine the draft order?

Okay here's my idea...

They do a lottery to determine the draft order and it's going to be on ESPN, probably a 1 hour time slot, and they call it "The Decision: NFL Draft". Don't lie you know it would be cool, and I'm half joking.

7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Only if LeBron is the host.

8. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

But to answer the question. If a team honestly offered their 2012 1st for a discount price, i'd do it. The NFL isn't going away; even if there isn't a season. I don't think any GM would be stupid enough to do that though.

9. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

first post i read and you say we have no real hope??? are you even a real titans fan?

i see this team as in the midst of rebuilding but were only a few players away from being a contender for the division now superbowl--anything can happen and i have faith but i think we are another 2-3 years away from being a legitimate contender but to say that we have no hope for this upcoming season is disrespect to the team...they are still putting in their time to become better, well some of them, but although you may not have hope; some of us look towards the positives and have faith...........just saying

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar