Trade down and stockpile picks in 2-4

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Austin_Bill, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

Looking at this draft I think it would be smart to trade down out of the 1st round and pick up extra picks in rounds 2 -4. If we did this we could really help this team by adding an extra pick or two. The key is that this draft is deep enough that you can get 1st round talent in the 2nd and 3rd round. So if the guy you get in the 2nd is equal to anyone you can get in the 1st I way why not save the cap room and do that.

2. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

Its not a bad thought..and yes this draft is alot deeper, CB's, RB's, WR's than previous years. But you kinda have to wait and see how the ball rolls, like they say no one can predict the Draft. And its not like we have a top 10 pick this year.

3. Architect

Architect Pain Train

Actually I think its a terrible idea. Every year we have a large amount of extra picks and never seem to draft anyone that can contribute immediately, esp after round 2. I actually think trading up and having 3 to 4 high picks would be alot better

4. reo

reo Starter

Actually we have plenty of depth. We need playmakers now, not more depth. That's why imo we trade picks. Period. Trade them not for more picks but for vet players.

That's what I want to see happen.

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I agree that it looks like trading down could help us this time. Who knows what happens in free agency or who we're able to get through trades. Let's consider the possibility that we don't trade for a big name guy or get one in FA.

We need a WR. There's no Calvin Johnson this year. What there seems to be is a bunch hovering around that top spot. If there's not much difference between say the #1 guy and the #5 guy, we could probably trade down and still get about as good as we could expect to get for a WR in the draft.

The same thing seems to apply for TE in the opinion of most others. Me myself I think Davis is worth our first pick. But if he's likely to still be there say in the early 2nd, kinda like Troupe in 04, then there's another possibility of a good trade.

There seems to be a lot of guys in the 2-3rd round range for WR, RB, TE, DE, OLB, and CB this year. Looks good for trading down and getting guys that can help us in several areas where we need solid depth.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Trading down has provided us with zero playmakers. Staying the spot provided us with VY and Pacman who have both been playmakers.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

how about once, just once, we trade up and get the guy we want instead of taking what's left over?

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree with that. IMO they need to be flexible either way. Reese made some real good moves in drafts trading down if people want to believe it or not. When we traded down and took Troupe (remember the huge number of picks we got from Houston) we basically got the player we wanted instead of taking him in the 1st and we were able to draft LaBoy AND Odom as well as Starks. We traded down and still took LW a couple of years ago. But we also need to target players we think will be a real good fit for us and be willing to give up some value to get them instead of taking a chance they get taken before we pick.

I'd love a Houston kind of deal this year however. IMO a player like Sweed simply isn't that much higher value than a 2nd round WR. That is just me however. I'd be equally happy if the Titans moved up in the draft to make sure they got Sweed IF that was the guy they had the most confidence in. The bottom line is to make sure whatever WR they really think can be a player as well as contribute fairly quickly is the guy they take.

I'll go on record as saying there are two WRs I think fit the bill, Bennett and Doucet. We shall see what the Titans think.

9. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

Im not high on Sweed. He in my eyes to Tennessee should be a 2nd round pick. We need a speed burner/playmaker wide receiver, Sweed is only a better same type player as Gage, who i pray the Titans keep. If Sweed is their guy, then i say trade down for more picks, they have plenty of options this year at all skill positions. I think one key is going to be our safeties cuz if Hope is seriously done, they are going to need to team Griffin with a strong safety or that defense might crumble again. I already have in my head what the cut list needs to look like.

10. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Trading up in the first round comes at a real steep price.

For example (using the draft value chart) trading up in the first round from 24 to 20 would probably cost us a 1st and a 3rd round pick. Trading up from 24 to 15 would cost us a 1st and a 2nd. Not sure I'm willing to pay that price unless there was a very special playmaker we were going after (e.g. Desean Jackson)

Trading up in the other rounds is something I would like to see however. Last year in the 3rd round, we had pick 80.

Here are picks 73-80:

73 Houston - Jacoby Jones WR Lane
    74 Baltimore (from Buffalo) - Yamon Figurs WR Kansas State
    75 Atlanta - Laurent Robinson WR Illinois State
    76 San Francisco - Jason Hill WR Washington State
    77 Pittsburgh - Matt Spaeth TE Minnesota
    78 Green Bay - James Jones WR San Jose State
    79 Jacksonville - Mike Walker WR Central Florida
    80 Tennessee - Paul Williams WR Fresno State

Now do you really think of the 8 WR/TEs taken that we had Paul Williams ranked on top? In a situation like this I would have prefered to be aggressive and move up a few spots to make sure we got the guy we want. To move up from 80 to 75 would have cost us a 6th round pick.

We need to get the right guys in particular in rounds 2, 3 and 4 this year so I would have no problem being aggresive in trading up in those rounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar