Tracking our spending for 2012

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

So with our ~30M avail, if we tag Finny for 10mil (is what i've seen). But the franchise tag is the top-5 of each position averaged out... so I did some research. Top 5 CBs NA 11M, Samuel 9.4M, Bailey 7.5M, Gamble 6.7M, and Woodson 6.5M all averaged out is 8.22M?

I feel like we should be able to sign Finny for a 4yr/28M deal, making him a Top 5 paid CB... then give him something like a 5M signing bonus, so his per year cap hit is under 6M.

Then we could still sign Mario for ~14Mish, that leaves 10M for rookies. & also have to include the players we already resigned (which I think is >3M). Leaving us a couple million to attempt to sign players like Babineaux, Ball, and maybe Jones for cheap.

If we could keep Finnegan, Ball, Babineaux, and add Mario.. our draft would NEED to have a center and another DT, as well as a safety. It would be very hard to sign Finny & Mario and being able to fill all our other needs.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

That's not accurate anymore. Franchise tags are now calculated by figuring out the franchise tags at that position over the last five years as a percentage of the overall cap figure in each of those five years.

Basically you take the money spent on CB's from 2007 thru 2011 and divide it by the cap that year.

But the number in 2012 is $10.6 million for CB's.

3. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

The tag number is no longer computed as the average of the top five at each position group. It's now computed as a percentage of the salary cap and the $10M you've seen is actually pretty close.

The number for CBs is projected to be $10.4 to 10.8M per http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-cap/2012/under-cap-2012-tag-projections-2

4. News2Tom

News2Tom Guest

This is my post. I know a few things that aren't in that, including future year details, but most of the numbers on there should be pretty accurate. The bottom-line number I think should be fairly close to right, given I backed into it from reported cap totals. If you have questions about individual numbers, I'm happy to talk about them.

Given that the 2012 final cap number has not been finalized yet and compensatory picks have not been awarded, I can't say for sure what the Titans rookie draft pool will be. Based on where the 20th pick in each round fell last year, I'm expecting it to be $4.3-4.6 million.

5. JCBRAVE

We wont be getting any compensatory picks this draft. Quinn Johnson didn't play enough to qualify us for any.

6. xpmar9x

Thanks guys, musta missed that change. :suspect:

7. xpmar9x

How do you figure?

We lost Kerry Collins, Vince Young, Bo Scaife, Jason Babin, Stephen Tulloch, and Rod Hood. Are only note worthy signs were Matt Hasselbeck, Jordan Babineaux, Shaun Smith, and Barrett Ruud. I'd still assume we'll get a 4th atleast.

8. JCBRAVE

I'm going off what I've read. And I think by cutting Vince Young we forfeited the chance to qualify for a compensatory pick. He alone didn't mess it up, but was part of it. Also, salaries have to do with how compensatory picks are handed out. If our 2011 free agents salaries were more than the ones we lost, we don't get any extra picks.

The whole idea behind compensatory picks is to help replenish talent, we gained talent IMO.

9. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Babin signed a $28 million deal with Philly. And doesn't production on the field count for something in the past season? I mean he was the leading sacker in the NFL.

10. News2Tom

News2Tom Guest

No, the Titans aren't getting any compensatory picks, but compensatory picks will change precisely where the 20th pick in the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds is, which changes the exact allocation amount related to the Titans pick. Then again, whether the 20th pick in the 7th round is 221 or 225 (it was 223 last year) is more or less a rounding error.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar