Top 5 Targets

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AH3, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AH3

AH3 Rookie

Ok, now that we have our pick position and know a bit more about the team (such as VY being the future QB), I'd like to start up another "Who should we get?" thread. List the top 3-5 guys we have a legitimate shot at getting (don't bother mentioning Suh or Berry) who you would like to see us get.

Let's assume we resign Brown. KB could go either way. Kearse, Lendale, and KVB are looking like they will probably be gone.

1. Rolando McClain- if KB leaves he will be our future at LB and the leader of the D

2. Joe Haden- CB is a desperate need for us, bottom line

3. Derrick Morgan- would help our pass rush greatly

4. Earl Thomas- again, filling a CB need and could also play safety

5. Taylor Mays- could play OLB and become similar to KB with time or fill in at S and let Griffin play some CB

Notable Others- Sergio Kindle, Everson Griffen, Patrick Robinson, Brandon Spikes

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

1. Jason Pierre-Paul - "If Washburn loves him..." is the phrase you can put in front of any of the top DEs, and if it applies, it'll probably be the pick. JPP projects very well to the next level and could eventually be a terror.

2. Rolando McClain - I think with the uncertainty at the position, if the best LB in the draft falls, they'll be hard-pressed not to take him.

3. Joe Haden - I really expect San Francisco will take him with one of their picks, but he is the top-ranked corner. I could also list Derrick Morgan

4. Earl Thomas - If Haden isn't there, it will be hard for the Titans to not consider this guy, IMO.

5. Carlos Dunlap - If they think they can "fix" him, it'll be hard not to look his way. Dunlap is a legit 3-down lineman, and can play inside as well. When I think about it, Hayes/Brown/Jones/Dunlap with Ford coming in on third down sounds pretty good.

In case of trade down: Brandon Graham, Greg Hardy, Sean Weatherspoon, Donovan Warren, Brian Price.

3. Pjames32

Pjames32 Starter

1. Rolando McClain

2. Joe Haden

3. Derrick Morgan

4. Brandon Graham

5. Sean Weatherspoon

4. ScotTitan

ScotTitan Starter

Hello

obviously McClain is the man were after, really like the DE Morgan as well from what ive seen.

Cody looks like a monster who needs double teamed ever time.

Spikes I think would be a good choice despite his disciplinary record.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. BigD73OT

BigD73OT NFL Free Agent

I don't really see the Titans picking a LB in the first round, unless they decide to let Tully have his shot at free agency. Gerald McGrath showed he could fill in and with more work with the 1st team he will be a solid OLB in the league. David Thorton will be all healed up and ready to go. I also don't see a DT being taken, Tony Brown is Pro Bowl talent, Jason Jones can simply be a BEAST when he wants to play and a 2nd round pick was just spent on SenDerick Marks. DE will probably be there place the Titans focus on in the draft. I do not see The Freak coming back nor do I see KVB coming back on anything more than a 1 year deal. I think you have to take a long, hard look at Carlos Dunlap. Yes, He is a bit oversized(you don't hear that to often) to play a traditional pass rush DE But he runs like he was only 245 instead of his true playing weight at 290lbs. He is very physical, has a nice bull rush and doesn't get washed out of very many plays. I think Carlos Dunlap will be your next Tennessee Titan!

6. vy102000

vy102000 Camp Fodder

I still think they'll be left with Carlos Dunlap

7. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Its crazy how some analysts are already making mock drafts...ridiculous. I mean at least wait for the season to end. Even mock drafts made RIGHT BEFORE draft time are so inaccurate its not even funny.

Chill out the offseason is long and boring and we'll have plenty of time to debate about what to do. Just b/c ours started early doesn't mean to start guessing when we dont even know wat players we'll resign/sign - not knowing what our most pressing need really will be

8. sCarecrow

sCarecrow Guest

I love Earl Thomas.
    But I am not sure if he can play CB...

I am going with:

1. Derrick Morgan, DE
    2. Carlos Dunlap, DE
    3. Jean Pierre Paul, DE
    4. Rolando McClain, LB
    5. Joe Haden, CB
    6. Brian Price, DT
    7. Brandon Spikes, MLB
    8. Sergio Kindle, DE - OLB

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Could eventually is a recipe for a project. JPP has great tools but is not a great player yet. We need guys who can play now, not play well in 3 years.

Would be hard not to take.

He's gonna be the most interesting prospect to watch at the combine for not only his athleticism, but also for his hips and doing CB drills. He's got great talent but also got run over a bit in the Title game. He's also only played slot CB recently so projecting him outside MAY be a stretch...so what does that do to his value...? I think they would consider him.

The Titans are still trying to 'fix' other things. With the mid pick of round 1 you shouldn't have to 'fix' much if anything. I don't like Dunlap because he doesn't play hard and hasn't worked hard to improve himself. He's also not a speed rusher or has not done that effectively at the college level. He gets a lot of his pass rush playing DT. We need a dominant pass rushing DE or a DT that no one can block. He's neither and a project and not a hard worker. Let's leave him alone. I think they will consider him...unfortunately.

Gut

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Here's a list of who I'd like to see the Titans get...

DT Suh - top 3 pick - could fall but not out of the top 5
    DT McCoy - top 5 pick - could fall a bit
    S Berry - top 5 pick - could fall a bit

If either Berry or McCoy fall out of the top 10, the Titans should seriously try to move up to grab him.

Guys who COULD be there at 17 and worth taking IMO...by position.

DE Morgan - best overall DE who can play now with NFL size.

DE/OLB Hughes - best DE overall without NFL 'size'. Great player on a great defense. A LEADER.

DE/OBL Graham - excellent player without NFL 'size' but still manhandled high NFL OT prospects. A LEADER.

DT Price - Best penetrating DT not named McCoy. Needs some work but can already cause problems for NFL OL's.

MLB McClain - the best MLB by far. Is BIG even by NFL standards. Is a very stout run defender, very hard to block and is an excellent LEADER (a trait we probably need). His value will be determined by his agility, shuttle and 40 time.

OLB Weatherspoon - A very good OLB. Most of the time he's an all out player and has been a leader on his D. His combine (and others that he's competing with) will dictate whether he's a first or 2nd round player.

CB Haden - assuming his athleticism is what is expected, only legit first rnd CB but will need work. Very feisty and an attacking type of player. Benefitted playing on a great defense with a great pass rush. But a very hard working player! VERY active.

S/CB Earl Thomas - talent wise he's a sure first round pick. But getting run over in the title game gave a lot of NFL scouts pause about him holding up against NFL backs since Thomas is small. Still, he might be able to play CB...especially on a zone team until he bulks a bit and moves to S. He also could be moved around quite a bit. His combine workout (drills and athleticism) will dictate him being a mid-first or if he slides to bottom first-2nd rnd.

RB Spiller - normally I wouldn't even consider a RB in rnd 1, but Spiller is a top 5 explosive player. If he falls this far, he'd be a steal. He could definitely split some time with CJ, take over punt and kickoffs and even create DC nightmares by using him on the field WITH CJ. Plus, this is just the sort of crazy thing the Titans do...Henry, White, CJ...

In a trade down I'd like us to look at...

OG/OC Pouncey
    OG Lupati
    OG/OT T.Williams
    DT Mount Cody
    DT Odrick
    OLB/DE Kindle
    OLB/DE Sapp

Realistically, Hughes, Graham, Price or Morgan, Weatherspoon, and McClain or Thomas will be there at 17. At least I hope so. There is a ton of 2nd round talent so if the Titans are looking at a first round 'project', it probably makes more sense to get a late first and late 2nd in a trade down than a mid-round 1st.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar