Too many wasted plays..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanup1982, Nov 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

We are wasting plays by giving CJ the ball.

I was at the game, and I literally saw that we waste plays on giving the ball the CJ.

I have always been a CJ supporter, but I have officially given up on him. It is too frustrating running the ball with him on 1st and 2nd down, and then throwing on 3rd down to a Kenny Britt-less crop on 3rd down.

No disrespect to Washington or Williams at all. I believe Washington and Williams would have career years if CJ was playing at least normal, or if Britt was playing.

Time to officially give the starting role to Ringer and cut CJ after this season.

Oh yeah, Locker is the real deal.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. pettso

pettso Starter

Like I said in another thread. I don't think it would be a loss if we cut CJ at the end of the season (hell, cut him tomorrow for all I care). Use that money in free agency and pick up someone that can actually run the ball.

Give Harper a chance in the next 6 games and let's find out if we need to look at drafting a RB in the 2nd-3rd round next year. Harper starting, Ringer or vice versa at the moment sounds a lot better than the CJ/Ringer duo of small backs that aren't even explosive.

We also waste a lot of plays on little dump passes. I counted 4 in a row by Hasselbeck in the 3rd quarter. It was like... dump, dump dump, dump, wild long ball, CJ for 1yd, dump, punt. Sweet.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. razordaman

razordaman Starter

Yep Yep

Agree

4. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Pettso, I agree with you.

I have always been a CJ supporter, but it's time to officially give up on him.

5. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I'm CJ's biggest supporter and am also leaning towards cutting him at the end of the year to save all that money. I'm starting realize RB's are indeed a dime a dozen and feel like we could spend the money better elsewhere

6. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

Everyone who thinks CJ doesn't suck blames it on the oline. What sense does it make that the Oline has went from average to the worst in the NFL in one offseason. Doesn't it make more sense that a guy that just got paid just doesn't care anymore? He was laughing after the game with the other teams coach, after he had a 1ypc avg. He's done, put in Ringer/Harper for the rest of the year and see if they have anything to offer, at least they'll play hungry.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Invest the money from Johnson into signing and guy like Mike Tolbert or BenJarvus Green-Ellis and bring in a REAL interior offensive lineman (Cark Nicks or Ben Grubbs).

Then draft a Center in round 2 (Konz, Brewster, or Jones)

8. pettso

pettso Starter

Yeah, while I do agree the O-line is playing sub-par, 1ypc is beyond pathetic.

If anything, it shows how reliant CJ is on a good O-line to succeed. A bigger bruiser back (like Turner or Forte, even Blount) can break the first tackle or two and still get 2-3 yards even on a busted run play.

The fact that we know we can't block and keep pushing small backs into the pile sounds like a fail on Munchak's part. Why haven't we seen Harper in at all?

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Watch the darn game. If having guys in your face or an OL guys back in your face when you get the hand off doesn't count as the OL being the problem then what does? We can theorize all we want about what the OL should be or what they were but it is obvious by watching them play they are horrible. Scott was manhandled that whole game. He looked like he might as well have been a cone out there. He was equally horrible in pass protection. On a couple of draw plays to CJ he might as well have pulled and let his guy in. At least then he might influence the DT to follow him. The guy was simply horrid and if you can't see that I'm not sure you watched the game.

Now we can put almost any Rb in there and get about the same results when guys in the middle of the OL are being knocked back into the back field every play. It also makes it real hard on the offensive coordinator to establish his game plan.

10. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

This is exactly right but most people just go the easy way and bash CJ. Yes we can get the same exact results for 500k a year instead of 9 million so sure let's drop CJ and save money, but that won't make us any better. I knew, and most people knew that CJ being successful depends on waiting for an opening in the backfield and accelerating. It's no surprise that when he has nowhere to go 90% of the time his stats look awful. Then in games where he gets a little bit of room (Bengals, Panthers), he looks great. So what's the main issue here? The line. So sure let's drop CJ and save money I'm all for that but we better spend that money on replacing 60% of our o-line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar