Tony Brown

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by smileyforall, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smileyforall

smileyforall Da Blue Mamba

How about Tony Brown this year? Other than him losing his cool in the colts game, he has done pretty good this year in place of Big Al.

Tony Brown 2009 Stats:

5.0 Sacks---3 Forced Fumbles----37 Tackles

Haynesworth 2009 Stats:

4.0 Sacks---0 Forced Fumbles----35 Tackles

Also this isnt a thread bashing Big Al, just one to show Brown's skills this year.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

bunk. I love Brown but he doesn't draw the double team like Al did. If anything those numbers reflect how dominate Al was, because he had those numbers in spite of the double teams. Other players like KVB, Hayes or Haye haven't been able to perform like they might have otherwise had if Al was still here. Besides that Brown needs to get himself back out on the field. He didn't practice yesterday because of the knee. I'd say at this point he's questionable at best for Friday.

3. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Down Town Tony Brown has been solid as far as I've seen. He totally lost his cool in Indy which was way out of character. I know he's no Albert but he's still played good. KVB and the other ends drop-off is more on them than it is on Tony.

Hayes and Ford seem to be making plays and getting after the QB. KVB just hasn't been as productive for some reason.

4. smileyforall

smileyforall Da Blue Mamba

He has had some games where he has been dominate, and indeed taken double teams. I dont remember which game I saw, maybe the colts game where he was just running through blockers.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Brown is a great player. All I am saying is that he is an adequate replacement for Big Al. It's just that while Brown brings a lot to the table, Al brought more.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Tony isn't expected to fill Al's shoes or replace him, because he can't. I was happy the day we got Tony Brown, but at no point have I thought of him as a Haynesworth caliber player. Haynesworth is on an entirely different level than Tony Brown (even when Haynesworth is sleeping). Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have Tony, but his abilities are limited. Maybe in a year or two he'll explode and be in say Kevin Williams class. He just doesn't command those double and triple teams that say your the best.

With that said, I firmly feel he should go to the Pro Bowl this season. He's the AFC's best DT from a numbers stand point.

7. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

what was Haynesworths 2008 stats with us?

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Haynesworth's 2008 numbers as a Titan:
    41 solo tackles, 10 assisted tackles, 8.5 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, and he knocked down 2 passes. All that was in 14 games I believe. There were 2 or 3 games in there that he was invisible it seemed. So the bulk of his stats came in 11 or 12 games. That's pretty impressive considering he always had 2 or more blockers on him.

9. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

While Haynesworth is a monster physically, most of his double-teams come because he is so big, wide, fat. Tony isn't as big physically therefore he doesn't command as much attention.

I won't say that Tony is more dominant or even more important to his team's D-Line, I'm just saying that Tony is just as good from a skill-set standpoint. Haynesworth is a fat lazy slob who can do more with less effort.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

So who is getting the double team then? I'd bet Brown gets an extra body on him more than anyone else on the DL and the Titans usually only rush 4 so the OL has an extra guy not counting a RB who might stay in to block.

I'm not saying Brown is as good as AH but he isn't any slouch by any means. Now as a team TN has 28 sacks this year where they had 44 last year. However, if Jason Jones could stay healthy I'd guess there wouldn't be as much of a drop off. With Jones and Brown in the game the OL has to pick their poison. The drop off isn't AH to Brown. The drop off is from AH to Haye because Jones has been hurt.

KVB simply doesn't have the explosion he used to have. KVB has 3.0 sacks but he only had 4.5 sacks last year with AH next to him. Also, Hayes has 4 sacks where Kearse had 3.5 last year. Hayes has more total tackles as well. Ford has 4.5 sacks where he had 7 last year so there is some drop off there but not much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar