Tommy Boy has Spoken (Obesity in America)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by titantrusince82, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XO

XO Nevada Native

But fruits and vegetables ARE NOT EXPENSIVE.

Whole grains ARE NOT EXPENSIVE.

You don't have to buy cake and soda.

Chicken isn't expensive. Grill it, baked it.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

It's obvious that poverty plays a role, but why? There have been plenty of people that go on a McDonald's only diet, and lose weight.

Sure, it's easier to get fat on burgers than healthy foods. But being poor is not a legitimate excuse for being morbidly obese. and, while not super-fat, I am I guess at least close to clinically obese.

I'm not a fan of the "poverty creates fat people" mindset, because it assumes that people are without a choice, in large, and that they're just too stupid to make correct choices (which may be true)

In most cases, these people willingly stuff their faces. It is a lack of self-control. I am at least willing to blame myself for my own fatness, and not all the other exterior factors.

I am of the impression that everyone has hold of their own destiny, for the most part. Bad parenting, being poor, etc. does not doom an individual, unless they let it.

IMO.. if people are causing themselves harm by smoking, drinking, binge eating, whatever.. it is their own fault in about 90 percent of the cases. And blaming exterior factors is a big part of what is wrong with our society, IMO.

It deemphasizes personal accountability, and implies that "It's OK that you're this way, because you're poor, or a minority, or insert insulting group here." Whether it is actually said or not.

You could give every poor person in America the choice of healthy foods and junk foods, you can subsidize all healthy foods and make them as cheap as junk food crap. Do you think we would see a large drop off in poor obesity? I really don't think so. It's about choices. And with food stamps, they already have the choice.

As a person who willingly eats junk food, I can see it. You can give me salads every day, but I would still pay 2 bucks for a bag of chips.

3. nickmsmith

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. nickmsmith

excuses, excuses..

Food stamps pay for all kinds of food. They choose to eat garbage. With today's welfare society, there is no reason that anyone would be forced into eating horrible foods. They choose to do it.

And honestly.. PORTIONS are the problem, more than the food.

You could eat a pure bacon diet and be thin.

Americans (including myself) gorge themselves, on average. look at average portions worldwide.

Usain Bolt are 50 mcnuggets in one sitting all the time. He just wasn't a lazy bum. People eat TOO MUCH and are too sedimentary.

There's your trouble. People ate fried chicken and greasy crap all the time back in the 40s and 50s.. but they physically worked hard, and probably ate smaller portions.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

ANNNNNND Taboo here we come

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. nickmsmith

I think this is a good, useful commentary on public health.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

They are also too poor to use the gym

[​IMG]

8. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

This thread just reminds me of Food inc. Healthy foods aren't "expensive" so to speak but they are much more expensive and time consuming to prepare than calorically dense bad foods. For families that have very little time and or money, eating these healthy foods in a consistent basis is not very realistic. You can technically feed a family of four with 6 bucks at Mcdonalds and it costs you very little time at all. Convenience is something that is extremely hard for human beings to ignore. The existence of food deserts also come to mind.

Now when it comes to people who have means like Tommy, there is no excuse. When you have the amount of money he has genetics can be overcome quite easily when it comes to losing weight. This man can hire a top shelf nutritionist, personal chef, and personal trainer that could make him a new man in very little time.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Of course, look at how healthy our homeless look?

They don't look hungry

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Tommy is from Houston, he's suppose to be fat as hell

• High Five High Five x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar