Tom Petty vs Van Halen CLOSED

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Mar 23, 2016.

?

BAND WARS RD3: Tom Petty vs Van Halen

Poll closed Mar 24, 2016.
  1. Tom Petty

63.0%
  2. Van Halen

37.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Oh, I answered the wrong question...I was talking about his Zep ripoff.
    I didn't know that he actually went after RHCP even though it was a blatant groovejacking. Figures.

So Smith did a slow VII-IV-I and ChiPeps did a I-VII-VI-I. You don't own chord structures, Tom.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  2. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Dude, you have lost all credibility.

3. avvie

It takes elements of it along with bits from other Zep tunes and then presents them in the feel of the Zep records. Not sure why he did it but he has no business suing anyone.
    And Smith didn't "pull" anything...pop music uses the same chords structures all the time, just like blues and country does. You change the lyrics and the feel and one line of the melody and you have an original song...derivitive, but original. Nobody creates in a vacuum.

4. avvie

No I haven't. I know exactly what I'm talking about. I even get paid for it.

5. Tuckfro42

Good grief! The Sam Smith tune is the exact same chording and timing as the Tom Petty tune. There is no argument.

6. Tuckfro42

BS. You have an axe to grind. Try to be rational.

7. avvie

And that is irrelevant. Petty does not own chord structures.

8. avvie

No axe towards Petty other than to echo what Nick said. If I had an axe to grind it would be with that honkeyfro'd homogenizing Beatles wannabe he started recording with.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Dani California does sound like last dance with Mary Jane.

Just give him credit. Rolling Stones made a song that sounded like Constant Craving by KD Lang. They gave credit.

10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

music is entirely a ripoff of something else.
    Look at what it all originated from. Blues is the exact same chord progressions over and over again. Music is entirely taking varying parts of existing music, and twisting it to make it your own.

I just don't think they were hurting Petty at all by these supposed infractions. If anything, it draws people back to his music. Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

For as original as Hendrix was, he was still a ripoff artist of the old blues legends as well. If the old blues players were as money hungry as modern people, there would have been thousands of big lawsuits.

I am a Petty fan, but whatever joy (money) he gets from being listed as a "co-writer" on these songs, hope it's really worth his time. He doesn't need the money, and he had nothing to do with the writing process of the song, other than the artist finding notes similar to his.

I do understand the issue when people actually sample the actual music without giving credit.. like Vanilla Ice. But songs in a different key, with similar note phrasing, it just seems petty to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar