Tom Petty vs Van Halen CLOSED

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Mar 23, 2016.

?

BAND WARS RD3: Tom Petty vs Van Halen

Poll closed Mar 24, 2016.
  1. Tom Petty

63.0%
  2. Van Halen

37.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

And Dr. Rockso - he does cocaine!

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I voted Tom Petty, cause I recently heard the PC police was calling him a racist because he used to display the Confederate flag to show his Southern heritage. I don't think he's ever said or done anything racist, screw the politically correct crap.
    Also, I bought the Damn the Torpedos album when it first came out and loved it.

[​IMG]

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Hmmm..yeah, you're right. I forgot entirely about Diver Down- thirty whole minutes of covers and outtakes to sortof rock your socks off!- and 1984's best material was stuff that didn't make the first two albums.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

The only fault I find with petty is that he is petty. He threatens to sue anyone with remotely similar sounding songs.

5. avvie

OMG yes and he SWEARS that he had nothing to do with that but all he had to do was decline it and he didn't. Then he went and released a near blatant plagiarism of Zep's "When The Levy Breaks".

..and no, that Zep plagiarized is not the point here. Don't care.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

What song was this?

7. avvie

Oops...it's called "I Should Have Known It"...a.k.a. "The Last Time You're Gonna Hurt Me".

#17 avvie, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Two notables.
    "Stay with me" by Sam smith. Resemblance to Wont back down

"Dani California" by RHCP
    Resemblance to last dance with Mary jane.

Demanded co-writing credit because the songs have some faint resemblance of his work.

It's petty garbage, honestly. He lives up to his name.
    There's hardly a new song to come out with, with notes that haven't been strung together before.

It's the one black mark I can pin to him on his career, and it's a big one. Its not like he's hurting for money, or credit as a musician. I understand direct ripoffs.. But these songs are not that.

9. Tuckfro42

That's not what I was asking, but Sam Smith's "Stay With Me" is a blatant ripoff of "I won't back down." The first time I heard it, I turned to my wife and started singing "I Won't Back Down." There is no difference between the two songs.

10. Tuckfro42

This is no where near the blatant ripoff Sam Smith pulled. I've listened to the song, you really have to stretch to hear "When the Levee Breaks."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar