Tom Clements...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 24, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 24

24 Starter

2. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I love and support any kind of change from the Fisherball offense.

3. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I'm surprised there's not a thread already devoted to this guy. He seems to be the name most often mentioned as a candidate for the Titans OC job (along with Callahan who has been apparently ruled out). I do recall him playing up here in Canada, and honestly he was quite good, but that has little to do with how effectively he can run an NFL offense.

Because I'm familiar with the name I've loosely followed his coaching career, but not enough to be able to give a knowledgeable assessment of his abilities. He has been around some bright NFL minds. This bio is plucked from the Packers official site, so it's apt to be a bit fluffy, but I have to say, it's enough to get me feeling pretty good about a pairing of Grey and Clements as the new coordinators.

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/tom-clements/bb67e02f-a2b1-4543-83af-00f437249c9f

4. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Very impressive credentials with QB's. This bio is all I know about him. At this stage of his career though (I'm guessing he's pushing 60), would HE want to upset his life and come here? He's got a Super Bowl ring and possibly the best of all worlds in Green Bay. He has a great shot at getting another ring next year and a solid organization, we don't even have a QB for him here. Could he handle CJ and his ego? Bud would probably have to pay some big bucks to get him.

5. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I would agree with everything you've said (with perhaps the exception of concerns about Johnson... a talent like Johnson's would be intriguing to any creative offensive mind). The one undeniable positive that I've yaken from the early days of Mike Munchak's tenure as head coach of the Titans is his ability to sell potential candidates on his program. Matthews had a pretty cushy gig with the Texans and Grey had what was supposedly his dream job with his alma mater, but they both decided to forgo those jobs and come on board with the Titans. At the best of times the Titans aren't a glamour franchise, and let's face it, from the perspective of most "experts" the Titans as a franchise are in a state of relative disarray. The fact that Munchak was able to get these two on board has me more convinced than ever that Bud and the Titans front office made a great choice in hiring MM. Adams would definitely have to open open his wallet once again and Munch would to have sell Clements on the his vision and the prospects of a bright future for the team. The club's recent successes with hirings give me reason to believe that if they really want Clements they'll get him.

6. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Another positive... the obvious Matt Flynn connection.

Potential negative... never player for the Oilers (but did play in the CFL ... which give him a connection to Warren Moon... QB coach? :lol: )

7. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

That's true.

Money, vision and a promotion will probably be the motivator for anyone coming here. I read where Gray was making $400k at Texas and will get about $1MM here. Same with Matthews, he's not an assistant to an assistant anymore.

I would have no problem with Clements, he sounds like a doer and has a track record of success. I just wonder, if at his stage he'll want to finish out here in Nashville.....no matter the money.

8. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Clements would be a nice addition I wish Callahan wasn't denied permission but on to the next one. I don't want Flynn though unless he is a stop gap solution barring he becomes a star. Hasslebeck is the FA I would like to see come here while we draft a QB like Kaepernick to sit and learn.

Besides OC Tracy Rocker as or DL Coach and Frank Bush as our LB Coach are probably good bets at this point. I like the moves so far but the fact these were the Bills 2004 coordinators sort of makes me uneasy(Clements and Gray).

9. 24

24 Starter

I made one in the Rumors section, I guess no one goes there, lol...

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar