Today's Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GLinks, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

#30 - Hakeem Nicks, WR, UNC - This is the year to draft a WR, and this is the guy who will best fit the scheme. Nicks is the most polished route runner and has the most secure hands. Due to a hamstring injury and weight gain, Nicks slips to the Titans.

62 - Mike Mickens, CB, Cincinnati - Mickens has been hampered by a knee injury and missed the Senior Bowl and Combine, but the Titans rely on the game film and select him anyway. Mickens is a tall corner (6'0") who plays physical, is a good tackler and is willing in supporting the run. Add to that, he has been one of the nation's leaders in PBUs over the years. Mickens ran a 4.53 at his pro day with a 35" vertical, but admitted his knee was only 85%. He had begun running three weeks prior. Mickens will fit well in the Titans system, and Cecil will love his style of play. The Titans will not need immediate contribution from Mickens this year, so he can continue to heal, and begin to contribute as the season progresses.

94 - Sammie Lee Hill, DT, Stillman - A big (6'5 329 lb) DT with some quickness, Hill will allow the Titans to breathe easier following the loss of Haynesworth, as well as prepare for the inevitable departure of either Brown or Vickerson next year, if not both. Plus, the Titans may not have to change as much defensively as previously thought.

#130 - Frantz Joseph, MLB, Florida Atlantic - I still like this guy too much to not select him this early right now. Basically drafting Ryan Fowler's future replacement, with some upside in the middle.

#136 - David Bruton, S, Notre Dame - Maybe Bruton can replace Donnie Nickey on STs. Bruton at 6'2 219 ran 4.46 at the combine with a 41.5" vertical. A good producer, Bruton had 93 tackles, 6 TFL and 3 INTs in 08, and 85/5.5/3 in 07. Would make a decent backup to Hope, while Fuller backs up Griffin.

173 - Ian Johnson, RB, Boise St. - he may go higher, but I think the kid is just a player. He has nice moves, speed and has bulked up considerably, weighing 212 at 5'10-11. The guy scores TDs, and would be a great compliment to Johnson should White leave next year. Also, Johnson has split carries for two years after carrying the load as a sophomore.

203 - Brandon Hughes, CB, Orgeon St. - at 5'10 182, he's in the mold of DJ Moore/ Alphonso Smith, but worked out a bit better. Would be good secondary depth if available here. 4.5 40, 36.5 vertical, 6.91 3-cone.

206 - Sammie Stroughter, WR, Oregon St. 5'9 189, ran slow at Combine, 4.45 at pro day, but regardless, gets separation and has amazing body control. A hard working WR who catches a ton of passes and just plays hard all the time. Will work hard to make a team.

239 - T.J. Conley, P, Idaho -whether it's on the PS or the active roster, Titans need to consider life beyond Hentrich. Probably won't draft a punter, but I've got space to fill.

242 - Lydon Murtha, OT, Nebraska - only tackle to break 5.0 at the Combine.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Much better:)

Nice job!

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Yeah, I love Deon Butler at that spot in the fourth. I could easily slot him there in every mock. I put in Stroughter just to do something different. Kevin Ogletree from Virginia was a consideration for the Bruton spot as well. I went safety in four just because the Titans have done that before (Fuller, Lowery).

4. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Well I'll guess I'll join this and throw my mock in.....hope you don't mind GLinks

#30 - Darius Butler CB Uconn ~ I think the guy will fall to us despite his impressive pro day and we don't even think twice. 5'10 about 185 with 4.38 speed, fluid hips, and a smooth back pedal.

#62 - Marcus Freeman LB OSU ~ Freeman drops to us becuase of injury concerns but he has a year to sit and learn from two of the best OLB's in the league. He's got good speed turning in a 4.51 at his pro day along with a 37 inch vertical and 30 reps all at 6'0-6'1 depending where you look and 239 lbs. Sidbury was my other option.

#94 - Ramses Barden WR Cal Poly ~ Another small school guy which doesn't bother our FO is a huge mismatch in the red zone with his 6'6 frame and strong hands does a good job of shielding defenders but needs to work on exploding in and out of cuts if he wants to seperate in the NFL. His 4.55 speed is intriguing and gives us something we don't have as a WR.

#130 - Ladarius Webb CB Nicholls St. ~ Like Gut said in another thread he's a guy we could gamble on he's got average size at 5'10 175 give or take a few lbs. but has good speed in the mid 4.4's and is a pretty fluid athlete with good upside. Returned a punt for a touchdown so offers some value in the return game.

#136 - Jason Watkins T Florida ~ The best lineman on the National Championship team and he has solid athleticism and a big frame at 6'6 317. Provides solid depth behind Roos and Stew.

#173 - Roy Miller DT Texas ~ He's a bit short at 6'2 but packs about 310 lbs. and is a solid all around DT with upside. He's tough hard nosed DT, Washburn will love this kid.

#203 - Gartrell Johnson RB Colorado St. ~ Drops this far because of a slow forty in the 4.65 area at 5'10 218 lbs. He doesn't have great long speed but has a good burst into the hole and is tough to bring down because of his stocky build and low pad level he runs with. He's a powerful RB who also has good hands out of the backfield catching 32 balls last year.

#206 - Will Davis DE Illinois ~ Boom or bust player who suffered through his senior year with some nagging injuries but showed potential as a junior when he posted 10.5 sacks. He's got decent size at 6'2 260+ with the frame to add a little more and has a good first step but was his junior year a fluke or are injuries to blame for his senior year? Either way I like his potential this late.

#239 - Drew Willy QB Buffalo ~ Developmental pick this late. Ramsey is a camp arm and we need someone to start grooming as insurance for KC since he's gone in 2 years and VY looks to be free falling. He's got above average mobility, good accuracy, and decent arm strength along with his intagibles.

#242 - Colt Anderson S Montana ~ Tough hard nosed kid thats a bit undersized at 5'10 195 but solid speed at 4.53 with a 37 inch vertical. He's a hard worker with decent athleticism to warrant a spot as a back up and special teams demon.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Dude!

I gotta say, I'm impressed! You haven't exactly been throwing a lot of draft stuff around here but you have a good grasp of the players and who you want. No reaches and all players the Titans really could use/select. Don't think Barden will be there at bottom of the 3rd, but could get one of a handful of others.

I wouldn't be crying about this draft at all though it's a bit unflashy. The ONLY WR you have is a bit of a project...its a better pick if they sign Holt. While this could be a very likely scenario, I'm somewhat hoping the Titans won't draft an OLB that high (though there are a LOT of choices)...cuz that would spell the end of Bulluck most likely after this season and I think he's got a few more years left!

Nice job!!!

Gut

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

True...

But Fuller is signed and we can get a pure backup late or hopefully undrafted. 4th rnd is also a good spot to get an OL, DL, CB, WR, TE or RB.

Gut

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

'Course I don't mind...and great job!

I agree that if Butler was there, the Titans would drop everything and select him. That means Matthews, Nicks, Britt, Harvin, Mack, Ayers, Jackson, Laurinitis, A. Smith, S. Smith, whoever, take a back seat to Butler. Weird, the way stuff felt the last few days of last week, it seems like he could fall to us...but I think the damage is done.

For posterity's sake, I'll say I do not like the prospect of taking the third corner in the draft. For those who remember, that unlucky distinction yielded us Andre Woolfolk in 2003 (the draft of which can now probably be safely, officially and permanently renamed "The Year of the Bust", insert "colossal," "epic," "all-time," etc. as you wish).

That is to further say, if Butler's gone, as the first or second corner, and we try to take the third corner, because that's what we feel we need to do, we're probably going to get screwed, and as a first-round pick, we're going to have to watch it all die slow...again.

Like if Jenkins fell (he should be great!), but we find his straight line speed DOES make him the new "Toast" Jenkins. And I do think if Jenkins fell, the Titans may get froggy - I don't know why. Oh, yeah, I do. CB is extremely important to this team, like DE, but despite the situation at DE next year, we're arguably more loaded there than CB. So if it got close, for the right guy, I think the Titans could use a pick or a player to move up a few spots.

I would hate if they did this for Davis, despite his measurables, if he fell. I mean, they would have to be right about his character projection for the future.

Butler would be great at 30. Jenkins is probably too slow for us. A. Smith could just be too short with no hops and get eaten alive by the big boys. S. Smith could end up being a "Lurch." Davis could be a Pac II. And from what we know right now, there aren't any other corners worth taking at 30. Butler would be a very good pick for us.

I wouldn't mind if they did get Butler at 30 that they traded up from 62 to get a WR, if one they still liked was around, like Harvin, Britt or Robiskie.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Marcus Freeman is one guy I almost always consider with #62. I think he would be a solid pick in round two, and pundits would love the pick cuz they're so high on Freeman right now anyway. Besides the injuries, which would hopefully be a thing of the past for the most part, the only thing I don't like is avoiding contact, running around blocks. He sounds like a shorter, more frequently-injured Bulluck.

Nonetheless, Freeman would take some significant pressure off of drafting a future starting LB, and if it came down to it one day Freeman and Keglar would be a very athletic pair of OLBs.

Barden -- I'd love to get him in three, but if he made it there at all (his size alone, to me, is going to force him to the second -- I think of Vincent Jackson here; everyone said "No, he's a 4th or 5th round guy; no way do you do that." Well, someone will. They always do.) it would require a trade-up, probably. But a Butler/Freeman/Barden/Webb combo with the first four picks would color the draft an A, no doubt. Watkins, Miller, Anderson in particular are nice depth.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

#30 - Alex Mack, C, California - To me, the safest route to go in round one. Mack has been called the best center prospect since Mangold by several pundits, and one went as far to say he was possibly the best since Bruce Matthews was drafted in 1983. Mawae's legs or whatever else could give out at any time. Whereas Harris is ready to take over at center, he can also play guard with equal aplomb. No one on the horizon is in Mack's league at center, and he could provide an almost immediate improvement whenever Mawae does hang it up (Remember: Mawae has been to one pro bowl for every two years he has played). I love the idea of our best unit getting better in a year's time. Mack is an absolute mauler in the road game and is as nasty a player as Stewart and Harris. Year one, he would back up C/G positions.

#62 - Asher Allen, CB, Georgia - Allen is in the same height/weight range (5'10 194) as most of the corners we look at. (Some scouting info: "Above average tackler who would work best in a zone type scheme. Moderate speed for a cornerback though and is very physical. Hands are decent and this is a kid of high character and kept his nose clean throughout college. Above average experience as he has been playing since he walked on to campus. His age is a plus as he graduated high school early to enroll at Georgia and only played three years. Played against top notch talent while in college. Good hip swivel and can run with the receiver over a short distance.")

At Georgia's pro day, Allen ran 4.41 and 4.33. He had a broken hand a year ago as well. Titans feel they can make him a player in a year or two, plus add someone who can contribute on returns. Should be able to play like Harper, but may have some upside as a cover corner. Had a 6.93 3-cone, but a 4.22 short shuttle time. Should make a solid #2 corner.

#94 - Mike Thomas, WR, Arizona - Well, they do it again. The dreaded third round. But Thomas should be a real good pickup here. Potentially a better contributor in the return game than Asher Allen, Thomas ran a 4.33 unofficial at the Combine, 4.4 official, and posted a ridiculous 6.65 in the 3-cone drill, third in the entire Combine behind Malcolm Jenkins (6.59) and Kenny Britt's teammate Tiquan Underwood (6.62). Thomas is the Pac-10 all-time leading receiver with 269 career catches. He tried to return kicks for the first time as a senior and took two to the house. The holdback with him is his size (5'8 7/8), but he's stronger than he appears, weighing 195 (more like Chris Johnson than DeSean Jackson).

"Short, but has a strong, surprisingly think frame. Good initial burst off the snap and can quickly eat up the cushion if unchallenged at the line of scrimmage. Can sink his hips and shows good immediate burst out of his breaks. Good toughness as a receiver and returner. Not afraid of contact and will go over the middle or attack the seam as a returner with reckless abandon. Good vision for the cutback and sets up his blocks well. Soft hands for the reception. Can pluck outside of his frame. Good body control to make extend and make the tough catch. Short, but times his leaps well. Returned two punts as a senior -- his first year as a returner." - nfl.com

#130 - Mohammed Massaquoi, WR, Georgia - "MoMass" as he's called. Nothing fancy, but Massaquoi just comes to work it seems. His engine almost stalled out before he caught fire his senior year and had 58 catches for 920 yards and 8 TDs. "Good height with speed and quickness. Has good hands and ball skills as well. Very athletic and also very tough will go over the middle without fear. Has lots of experience and has started four years in a pro style offense." MoMass has had slow 40 times prior, but did well enough at his pro day (4.49, 4.51).

#136 - Sammie Lee Hill, DT, Stillman - 6'4" 329 is all you need to know as to why he's selected here.

#173 - Lee Robinson, OLB, Alcorn St.

#203 - Pannel Egboh, DE, Stanford - 6'6" 277, had a knee injury last year.

#206 - Davon Drew, TE, East Carolina - a good blocker who finally caught on as a pass-catcher; 6'4 249 is about Scaife's size, but probably not quite as fast

#239 - Robert Haynes, CB, Michigan Tech - Sleeper Alert

#242 - Kevin Ellison, SS, USC - 6'1 227, ran only a 4.7 at pro day after 4.82 at Combine, Ellison will have to play special teams. Fisher had to get one USC guy.

10. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Here's my two cents...

#30 Darrius Butler CB Ucon

#62 Ramses Barden WR Cal Poly SLO

#94 Mike Mickens CB Cincinnati

#130 Cornelius Ingram TE Florida

#135 Ian Johnson RB Boise St.

#173 Joel Bell OT Furman

#203 Roy Miller DT Texas

#206 Dallas Reynolds C BYU

#239 Curtis Painter QB Purdue

#242 Kevin Huber P Cincinnati

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar