Today would be a good day to backup your PC

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Starkiller, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

we'll agree' to disagree over the usage of the word "normal" - lol

I built my PC for a specific purpose - I needed a RAID for a project and when you know exactly what you want finding it on the shelf is nearly impossible. So I built it and not only saved $ I got what I wanted and needed. A computer purchase should not be considered a hardware purchase cause you are not using hardware you are actually using software. Once you nail the software you want work backwards to the hardware. Most people do in fact enjoy playing the occasional game yet hardly anyone would "need" a $4k+ gaming rig. I think your comment about a PC being a toy really is a comment about that being a defenciency of the MACs. Fact is you CAN force a PC to do whatever you want with enough $ and effort. Can't say the same for a MAC like run the current game of the year as a for instance - lol

And as far as building your own I am still to this day PO'ed that I cannot build my own laptop. There has to be some way for this to be done.

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

PC come in most any color you want, as long as it is beige - lol and real men not only want a beige computer they consider different shades of beige on external components a badge of honor - lol
    MACs come in apple green and bubblegum pink or some such stuff, all the colors of the rainbow coalition - nuff said.

The lack of variety in MACs, other than nonfunctional externals, is what allows them to be so useful.

And that is not a knock there are upsides to EVERYBODY running the exact same OS and Apple has used that to their advantage. One of the downsides is that if what you want is not available that is the end of that.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

[​IMG]

4. maximus

maximus Starter

I have heard from several places that it will be possible to make your own MAC with the ease of making your own PC. SK, do you know of a timetable of when it will happen

GoT, you can already customize a MAC, its just really hard to do

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

wrong .....

Mac's come in only one color ........ Pearl White

you're thinking of iPod's

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I know you asked SK, but I'll chime in. theoretically you could do it now. but it wouldn't be very easy or cheap

not sure what kind of "customizing" a person really needs to do to a Mac
    in my case (iMac G5), the entire workings of the computer are slamed into the screen case. there isn't any room to "customize", except for adding more RAM

7. I assume he's thinking back to the days long ago where the iMacs came in multiple different colors. But yes, now there aren't any choices when it comes to the actual Macs.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

and I'm guessing that's where he's basing his statements on their functionality and performance

9. It all depends on the model. Mac laptops don't have much room to customize, but that's true of basically all laptops. iMacs are about as customizable as a laptop, but I'd say the difference with that and other desktop PCs is that it's an all-in-one. PC all-in-one models are just the same.

I don't think there is much room in the G5 powermac (and future replacement?) fo major customizations. They built it very specifically to optimize cooling and make it quieter than the "wind tunnel" predecessor.

That said, I have an old G3 powermac I got in 1998 that I turned into a server. I have the OS X, which makes a great server OS seeing as how it's unix, running on one drive plus a mirrored RAID using 2 250GB drives and a RAID card.

10. Not for the forseeable future. Apple has always required you to have specific hardware that you can't buy off the shelf in order to run the Mac OS. It used to be a ROM chip. With the new Intel Macs, I'm not 100% sure what they are using but I believe it is part of Intel's "Trusted Computing" chipset built into the motherboard. I'm sure you won't be able to build your own Mac without this built into the board, and I'm equally sure that Apple won't allow that to be sold to anyone other than themselves.

The new Macs are basically standard PC harware except for this minor change. That's why you will be able to load Windows (starting with Windows Vista, probably) on a Mac. But you won't be able to run OS X on just any PC hardware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar