Today im very Asante Samuel

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by lilkhmerkid4u, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titansflow

titansflow Camp Fodder

Its a sweet deal but the 10m a year is not so sweet.

2. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Now don't take all this the wrong way because Finnegan was definitely one of my favorite players on defense and it sucked to see him leave. And it was even worse to see him leave on such bad terms BUT he is not nearly as good as he, his agent and the Rams believe he is.

You are right in the sense that Samuel and Cortland are two totally different types of corner and the only thing comparable about them is their size.

Finnegan is a tackling corner who makes the occasional pick with a ton of heart, hustle and a big @$$ mouth. (Which I loved about him.)

Samuel on the other hand is more of a finesse type play-making corner that makes a living on picks and doesn't care too much about tackling which is more of what we now need. We already have 2 really good tackling corners so we don't need another. We need a play-maker in the secondary and that is what Samuel would be giving us. If all it takes to get him is a late round pick then I say pull the trigger.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

Ideal situation is your corner should never have to make a tackle. This is my problem with Verner McCourty, and Cortland is they let their man catch the ball than tackle. If they are racking up tackles from blitzing or run support that is a different circumstance. Having someone who can shutdown a receiver for a chance would be nice, and for a 5th or 6th round pick would be even better.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Lol not everyone can be Deion. The receivers catch the ball now and again that is the object of passing After all.

5. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

My thoughts exactly. High Five this man^

6. DownSouthPlayer

DownSouthPlayer Starter

I thought this guy was overrated when he left New England.

7. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

No i still stand by what i said.

Asante is a zone player as well and from what i saw we are more a press/man to man on the outside (again, its just the first year under Gray, so who knows what might change.) But its not just the player, its the player and the scheme.

Also, Asante is over 30 now, where as Finny is 2-3 years younger. The players of RB/CB/WR, in general start fading at 30, so that must be taken into account as well.

Another point, when i watch some of the older guys, sure they can still be great, but they become more and more a product of the defense as a whole.

Take Charles Woodson for example, they want to move him to safety. Sure b/c they need it, but also because at his older age he is far more suited to play zone then press/man to man with the athletic freaks at WR we are seeing now (combined with the league's desire for more points/less hits/etc....)

Offense is going to score points today and passing numbers are inflated as hell. Its very normal for QBs to pass for 300+ yards and still lose the game. On D now, more than ever, its about impact plays (i.e. legal big hits, tipped balls, fumbles, ints, etc...)

I don't see Asante getting all those picks in our system with little pass rush, i just dont. Also back in his days at NE, brady was always scoring points and teams were playing catch up a lot... thats heaven for a zone based DB.

We rarely get a big lead where other teams' O are forced to go 1-D and pass a lot. In the modern game, shut down CBs will start to fade away more and more, unless there is a really strong pass rush or you have a powerful O.

Like i said, there are so many variables and you can't compare it so cut and dry.

---------------------

Now after all that, i'm not saying we won't survive without Finny. Heck i have a lot of hope in the rookie Hawk, to the point where i don't think we need Asante. I'd be far more interested in trading for a good 28-30 year old linemen.

Also, no where in either post did i say that Finny was worth worth 10M a year.

However, I did and will continue to say taking into account everything i said in this and the past post, Finny for us is > Asante.

--------

BTT: your 'it sucks' hurt, we usually be agreeing on most ish regarding em titans lol

8. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

We definitely play more zone than man.

• High Five High Five x 3
  9. ToddTheTitan

ToddTheTitan GoTitans Homer

History tells us that corners can play well into their 30's at a very high level.

That argument is invalid.

10. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

CBs can play well into their thirtys huh...

which CB would you define as stud, great, or even consistently solid who is/are 'well' into their 30s (i.e. 31-35, i believe defines well...)

please enlighten me...4

----------

maybe im wrong...but i saw more press/man from our CBs last year. but correct me if im wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar