To Have A Successful Season This Team Must Win The Close Games

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Aug 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

One thing that will decide more than anything if we have a good season will be our ability to win the close games.I have pointed out below a very interesting difference between two teams that had many close outcomes.

In 2012 there were two teams who were actually very similar in many ways the only difference being the won-loss record.The Indianapolis Colts were 11-5 and went to the playoffs while the Detroit Lions were 4-12 and at the bottom of their division.

However both teams were outscored overall with Indianapolis having 357 points while giving up 387 points on the year while Detroit had 372 points and gave up 427 points.There is actually not that much difference in point differential although Indy went 11-5 while Detroit was the exact opposite at 4-12 and this is the reason why.....

Indianapolis WON 6 games by four points or less and 3 more games by a touchdown or less giving them 9 WINS BY SEVEN POINTS OR LESS.

Detroit LOST 5 games by four points or less and 3 more games by a touchdown or less giving them 9 LOSSES BY SEVEN POINTS OR LESS.

If you look at both teams they were actually very similar in many ways the only difference was Indy was lucky to pull off many close wins while Detroit was unlucky and had many close losses.

Detroit were a few close victories from maybe having a winning season just like Indianapolis were a few close losses from a probable losing season.Again there is really not that much difference between the two teams.

In fact both teams even ended up meeting with Detroit hosting Indianapolis at home and the two teams went down to the wire with Indianapolis pulling off a 35-33 two point victory.The outcome of the game was how the season pretty much played out for both teams.

When its all said and done this 2013 Tennessee Titans team needs to find ways to pull off victories in close games because a few close games could be the difference between a winning or losing season.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Yea we know this

3. Fairweather Fan

Fairweather Fan Pro Bowler

We can't stumble out of the gate either. I don't see this team overcoming a slow start.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

one game at a time

cant win the Superbowl in October

nothing good happens at 2 am

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I wouldn't say nothing...

just don't be fighting cabbies outside the gay club after commentating a pre-season game.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Indianapolis was damn lucky to pull out that many victories by such a small margin but i don't think they will be able to do that again this season.Detroit in my opinion was much better than their 4-12 record.

7. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

maybe Taco Bell's food isn't the best for you

8. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Well we must do what we can to close out close games so it doesn't end up costing us at the end of the season.

This preseason we lost twice by one point.We lost 22-21 to Washington and we lost 24-23 to Minnesota.Yes the preseason doesn't count but i'm just hoping we do close out the very close games.

As we saw with the 2012 Detroit Lions that team was way better than 4-12 and should've been 10-6 with all the close losses by 2 or 3 points.As far as Indy goes that team will take a step back in my opinion they were 11-5 and had numerous games they barely escaped with a W.

9. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

In 2009 we also started off At Pittsburgh and Houston and lost both games by three points each.Had we won both games we would've been 10-6 and in the playoffs instead of 8-8.

In 2013 we have to win the close games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar