Titansinsider: Munchak open to change to 3-4

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Bababooey, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

And what were the two defenses in Super Bowl 44?

Talent wins out, period.

2. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Unless you just get an easy path to the SB, I think you have to have a defense that can adapt no matter whether your base is a 4-3 or 3-4. I think what hurt our 4-3 last year was the lack of creativity. We started blitzing early in the season and then got conservative all of a sudden. When we were aggressive on defense (blitzing, disguised blitzes, press man coverage) we did ok. I think Verner and CB2 (Finnegan or McCourty whoever's better after camp) are good enough to run with most receivers long enough for the blitz to work its magic.

I think our success on defense next year depends purely on scheming. If we can get a SS who can start right away we could have a top 10 defense. The tricky situation this offseason is the QB position. Get the wrong QB and the offense won't go.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I'm not sure what he supposedly said that suggests he wants a 3-4 or is willing to change to it? He basically said it doesn't matter and whatever your base defense is you are ultimately using a 4 or 3 man front some of the time.

Like in some nickel and dime sets with 3 down linemen or when a 3-4 team uses 4 down linemen in obvious passing situations.

He also was very clear about needing to have the right players for the system.

Given that he is seeking Gray for Dc i see nothing to indicate a move to a 3-4 base defense. We do not have the personnel for it either.

4. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I agree that we don't have the personnel. We don't have linebackers good enough in coverage and we'd need atleast 1 more hybrid DE if we moved JJones to DE.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

No our linebackers cover fine for a 3-4. The cover responsibilities are greater in the system we have been running.

What we don't have are the 3, 325 lb guys you need to run that defense. You need one at DE and another at NT and another in the rotation. I call these guys anchor linemen. Jones, Marks and Brown can play the opposite DE as long as we have those big guys but right now we have not one guy who fits that description.

I'm surprised that you wouldn't be concerned about that given that Marks is the only d-lineman we have with any size and he is barely 300 if even that.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

We also don't currently have anyone that can play NT.

7. globelieves

globelieves Starter

I agree with some of the previous posts. I heard nothing indicating he wants to switch to a 3-4...my take was that he would like to have the players to switch it up occasionally. I think sometimes people take the same sentence and interpret it in a variety of ways...not saying my take is right and someone else's is wrong...just happens.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

to even begin the process of making such a switch we need to draft a big DT in rd 1 dareus for example and then a huge DT in rd 2 or 3 or 4.

That's the kind of size you need one guy at least 310 and another at least 330. 2 guys who average out at 320 or larger. That is the beginning of a 3-4.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

10. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

Nowhere in the title does it say he wants a 3-4, so I agree.

I don't understand where people are thinking we are considering a full switch to the 3-4? I put that he's open to a change to a 3-4. The article mentions his desire or description of a "hybrid" type of defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar