Titans worst in the league running on 1st down

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SawdustMan, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

104.5 had some stat nerd on this morning. I only caught a portion so I'm not even sure who the guy was. But he was saying the Titans are dead last in rushing effectiveness on 1st down. We are, I believe, averaging 2.8ypc on 1st down runs. TBH, I was surprised it was even that high. He also said that we were "above-average" in the league at throwing on 1st down (forget what the average was). Yet we're still running the ball on 1st over 45% of the time (that percentage seems low to me but I'm sure he's right).

Now, we did come out throwing against the Niners and surprise surprise were very successful. We threw 3 straight times to open the game and gained 29 yards. But then after getting the 1st we ran with CJ twice and then had an incompletion from Locker... punt. On our next possession we went pretty pass-heavy and had a big play to Walker and picked up a 1st down with ease. But then we proceeded to have 25 penalty yards and were forced to punt.

I'm not going to break down every possession. But hopefully this is a sign of what's to come and we're really going to let Jake start being the focus of our offense. In last week's game (much like the rest of the season) ALL of our big plays came from the passing game. Jake had 10 completions of 10+ yards. 7 for 20+ yards. 2 for 40+ yards. 1 for 60+.

CJ's longest run was 9 yards. That said, the run game was looking a bit better but then we were getting our butts handed to us so we had to abandon it. But I would like to see us go to a more pass-heavy offense. I think if we can come out the gate throwing the ball effectively it will open up the run game. That was a point that was made on the radio this morning. We should be passing to open up the run. Not running to open up the pass.

The numbers don't lie. We're awful at one and above-average at the other.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I wonder how it will be explained by the :cj: apologists on here how :cj: is not in any way responsible for how bad the team is running the football.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I think Locker's proven he can be an effective passer. And our WR's, aside from Britt, have proven they can make plays. So now the only question I have is can Dowell Loggains get creative enough for us to be an offense that is actually feared by opposing defenses?

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

During the first 3 weeks of the season I was doing some in depth analyses of Loggains offense. Copying the plays, graphing where the ball was thrown, and where the play ended, and a bunch of other "nerdy" things. Well as it turns out that's tedious as hell and doing it for the Titans offense got quite frustrating. At that point we were 2-1 when I stopped doing it, but I noticed during that span of time we could move the chains, just not with Chis Johnson, it was all Jackie Battle.
    But since then Battle has burned out, but who saw that coming :cigar:

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

All those damn "stacked boxes" again. It's just a good thing no other RB in the league has to see extra men in the box.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Anybody remember this from last year

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 8
  7. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

While I am sure those stats are correct, I wouldn't give up on the run. We did have the worst center in the league. Schwenke looked much better. Greene should be back as well. We are getting to the softer side of our schedule. Things are looking up for the running game.

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

Well no duh! Teams are expecting us to run it on first down so they sell out to stop the run. So when we actually do decide to throw it then it makes it easy for Locker. CJ is the reason we are above average at throwing on first down.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Close. On the second picture you need to remove all Titans players other then :cj: and the QB

10. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

You do realize that play right there was a pass play right!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar