Titans Work on Passing Game

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Titans OC Norm Chow says his QB continues to improve. In his debut against the Patriots, Vince Young was errant with many of his passes and he continues to struggle at times in practice with shorter throws such as screens and quick outs. Since last season, Young and Chow have focused a lot on footwork which means adjusting his feet for shorter passes. "You can always throw the ball, you can always make the throw," Young said. "It's always the lower body, that's the thing people don't understand. A lot of different things go on in the pocket area, and that's the thing I'm trying to work on, getting that pocket presence. One side collapses, slide, stepping up and bring your feet with the throw. That's the kind of stuff I'm working on right now."

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

I love watching Vince running around but, i also want to see him passing the ball as well. If Vince can go 70% passing, 30% running or, when ever it calls for him to get away. It would be awesome to see but heck "VY" keep on doing your thing if nothing else works. GO TITANS....

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

What amazes me is that although VY is a superb athlete he can't seem to do something as simple as set his feet properly when making his passes. Sure there are times when he has to make an off balance throw because he is trying to escape the rush but when he drops back and fires the ball he doesn't seem to have any coordination. Even little league baseball players can be instructed on how to properly step and throw. It really isn't that complicated and the throws he is having the hardest time with are the 20 yard or less throws.

4. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

I keep saying this....and I have to keep comparing him to Steve Mac. It took Steve Mac a better part of 3 yrs to become a real "Pass first" QB, and become consistent. I honestly believe that he already prefers to throw the ball first, but probably a combination of the following he has displayed a little inconsistency:

1. Receiver's slow to get open
    2. Slow to diagnose coverage, make reads and go threw progressions
    3. Complete understanding of the offense and plan of attack passing
    4. Medicore offensive scheme/Coordinator (Chow)
    5. Lack of a "Go-to-Guy"
    6. Bad footwork at times

I really believe that as he gets his footwork down consistently, and he develops a relationship with a receiver (appears to be Scaife early on,.... see Steve Mac/Frank Wycheck), and the other recievers step up, I KNOW he will become the true "Dual Threat' QB he is.

Until then, expect a lot of teams to take the Patriots approach, and Blitz, Blitz, Blitz him. Nothing like being thrown in the fire & brimstone to help forge metal.

"Be not decieved VINCE YOUNG IS PURE STEEL.....BETTER YET......TITANIUM !!!!!

5. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

The screens, and throws to the Flat he struggles with, and your right it's all because of his footwork. It really erks me to see him throw one in the dirt, but don't be fooled, it's not as easy as it seems when you have 300lb linemen bearing down on you, and the blitz is coming hard. He'll get it down pat.

6. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I don't see that happening. Blitzing Vince is very risky. You are generally putting your defenders in man coverage down the field and if we pick up the blitz, Vince is free to run for big gains. I think the Patriots bitzing the other night was more trying out assignments for their defense than any specific game plan for our offense.

I think you'll see a lot of underneath zone coverages, where defenders will all be facing Vince and force him to make the right read into the zones.

7. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

well if we woulda locked up one decent receiver this offseason we might have wide outs getting open faster and catching the ball.

8. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

It's funny, because I think the Pats took KB's statements personal, and rarely do teams blitz like that during the pre-season. They were obviously coming after our QB. They employed that same defense when we played them last season and it worked both times.

The flip side of it is Zone worked as well in defending VY when the Jaguars played us, but i believe it's b/c they have a D-line capable of pressuring the QB w/o blitzing.

Someone else played zone on us too and was pretty effective at it, but I can't remember who>>>

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Great analysis from everyone!

Vince will be fine! He was fine last year he will be fine this year. everything is going to be fine! Of course we are working on our passing game because every team does and has to. When the season starts we are going to play kickass with the afc south!

10. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

:yes: And the rest of the NFL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar