Titans were interested in Coles

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CRUDS, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Laveranues Coles 9 years average 70 catches for 900 yards a season.

Santana moss last 6 seasons averaged 66 catches for over 1000 yards.

I would gladly have had those 2 guys as my starting Wrs for the last 6-7 years and rather not have one of these loud mouth selfish guys who amke a lot more money and ruin your team.

2. 4EverYoung

4EverYoung Camp Fodder

I think Coles was kinda right about the Chad/Favre situation. Farve had a better o-line, the AFC's leading rusher, JeriCHO!, Coles, Brad SMith. Chad Pennington had a starting running back with under 1,000 yards, his 2 leading receivers were undrafted, and one was a rookie. Favre put on a seminar on how not to play quarterback. Chad had the 3rd highest qb rating in the AFC.

The Titan's might have been interested in Coles, but the question should be if he was ever interested in the Titans.

3. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

Those receivers you mentioned are not considered legit #1 receivers,sure there solid receivers and fit well in our system but none of them had the big time rep before they came here. Because we lack a pure #1 receiver some of those players were expected to come in here and try to be that guy. Givens couldnt stay healthy enough to break in his jock strap and was the product of the sytem in NE IMO. Wade was nothin more then a #3 and slot receiver. Gage really is the only consistint threat we have but do you think hes a legitimate #1 receiver? Washington could be that guy and i hope he is but he isnt considered a #1 guy. The point i was trying to make is that the Titans have been linked in the past as well as now to signing or trading for impact WR/TE's like Holt,Gonzales,and now Coles but hadnt been able to sign them. I know some people were skeptical about Coles but IMO i think he could of made an impact on this team. I have no problems with who the Titans have signed,i'm just pointing out that they seem to fall short of signing the big names we're all hoping for them to sign.

4. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

That's something that we as fans really need to get over. A name doesn't make a WR a number one, his performance does. Eric Moulds was a number one at one time, but did he play like a number one here??? What makes a number one in the first place??? I'm sure that if we throw enough balls at Gage and Washington, one of them would surely break 1,000 yards. Would they then be number one receivers??? Why would they be number one then, and not now??? McCardell certainly wasn't considered a number one type receiver when he left Cleveland for Jacksonville. Mason certainly wasn't considered a number one receiver starting the '01 season. These are the guys that as far as I can tell, the Titans are looking for, as they should be instead of guys that are overpriced blowhards who are likely entering the twilight of their careers. Furthermore, as evidenced by the players I just mentioned, it doesn't always happen immediately. We have to use patience. It is the goal after all, to have an effective offense, not to just pad one player's stats.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I think Coles would have been good for a VY team, but not as much for Collins.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What might your reason be for thinking that?

7. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

Eric Moulds was a number one back in the day but we all knew he was past his prime when he signed with the Titans. The main reason he came here was to become a mentor for the other WR's and to give VY that veteran presence on the field. A true #1 WR IMO, is a player who has established himself over the years as an impact player who forces defenses to roll coverage to his side or at least make defenses double him at times. Moss,Smith,Johnson,Fitz,Wayne,Owens,Clvn.Johnson are all players who are legit #1 receivers who force defenses to play them differently when there on the field. Now just because you get 1000 yards doesnt mean your automatically a #1 receiver,those players i mentioned are guys who play WR on another level then everybody else. Gage is a solid WR but hes not a guy whos going to make def.cordinators strategize around him,hes consistint and effective when he gets the ball and thats something this offense was missing. I understand the Titans are not the big spenders when it comes to WR's but i also realize that history is not on there side when it comes to drafting WR's and have yet to land a difference maker in a WR in free agency that we all know this team needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar