Titans vs the BCS

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

While tossing back a few with some friends, a discussion began. We are a long shot at making a playoff spot. We hold a tying record with several other teams;
    Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Kanas City.
    The question is, would we have a BETTER shot at a wild card slot if the NFL used the colleges BCS system?
    Strength of schedule being our biggest push.
    We defeated several play off bound teams.
    We have not won by large margins.
    We have been beaten by huge numbers.
    No one in the discussion suggested that we adopt a BCS system. Just an argument as to where we would stand if the system was used.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

settle it on the field. we sucked in the beginning of the season and arent going to make it because of that.

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Either ESPN,SI or NFL.com ran an article earlier this month looking at last years playoff teams in terms of the BCS system.

Most of them wouldn't have been in the playoffs including the Steelers.

4. Nine

Nine Starter

I'm guessing the Titans would have ended up somewhere in the low-to-mid teens.

Equating the Titans' season to a college team, the Titans would have come into the season unranked, and gotten off to an 0-3 start.

Their first 3-4 wins would have gone largely unnoticed, but after beating a top 5 team (the Colts) for their fourth win, people would have sat up and taken notice. A few voters would have shown them respect, allowing them to sneak into the top 25. The win over the Texans would have earned them a few more votes, bumping them up one or two more spots...but the win over the Jags, ugly as it was, would have been the big jump.

My guess: if this was the BCS, the Titans would be #17.

5. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

Quixotical supposition.

It would require a 3/4 vote by the owners. Do you know 24 owners who would vote for that rule change, even assuming it got out of the rules committee, co-chaired by Fisher, an NFL traditionalist?

I don't know of a single owner, let alone 24, who would vote for such a radical change to the game.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's their thinking. And their opinions are the only ones that count.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I like it the way it is. It makes sense to me. It's logical. No need to change it unless they have a play in game, which of course would be the best possible scenario, and I kind of like that idea myself. Who wouldn't like that. Just cut the preseason and add play in games. No revenue loss.

7. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Vince summed up the BCS question by replying "The BCS is crap". A little out of character for him.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

My top viewable superbowls would be.

1. Titans vs. Dallas
    2. New England vs. Dallas
    3. Indianapolis vs. Dallas
    4. Pittsburgh vs. Dallas
    5. NY vs. NY

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I take it - you wanna see Dallas

I think it'd be fun to see a San Diego v New Orleans

10. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Titans - Bears would be a classic, since Fisher played for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar