Titans vs. Steelers positional breakdown

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Thought I'd look at the teams by position group to see who's got the edge on paper.

Offense

QB - Steelers - Despite somewhat pedestrian stats, Roethlisberger just makes it happen when it's needed most. Probably no other play typifies this better than the amazing throw and catch by Roethlisberger to Holmes in the last minute of SuperBowl XLIII.

WR - Steelers - While Tennessee has certainly improved its corps, you have to go with the vet savvy of Hines Ward and the emergence of Santonio Holmes here. Titans receivers have a chance to surprise a lot of teams this year, but this is not the game that all the barrels will come out. Shhhhh....

RB - Titans - Johnson and White is the best duo in the NFL currently. Absolutely the most balanced attack. The Ravens showed what you have to do to stop Johnson when all bets are off, and that ain't even legal.

TE - Titans - Heath Miller is a good all-around TE, but the Titans have the deepest TE corps in the league. Crumpler, Scaife, the rookie Cook (wait and see) and Craig Stevens. They would have kept five if it wasn't insane.

OL - Titans - Hands down, this line is top 3 in the NFL, and that's playing it conservatively. Skill by player plus time to gel. No question at all here.

Defense

DL - Titans - It would be closer if it was called "front seven", but even without Albert Haynesworth, the key here is the depth. Powered by the best defensive line coach in the NFL bar none, the answer is the Titans.

LB - Steelers - Hey. This corps is always legend. While the Titans linebackers overall are better in coverage, especially without Lawrence Timmons, this unit powers the defensive success of the Steelers. Props where it's due.

CB - Titans - Nick Harper and Cortland Finnegan vs. Deshea Townsend and Ike Taylor. Finnegan clearly tips the scales in the Titans favor.

S - Titans - Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark vs. Chris Hope and Michael Griffin. Honestly, I almost gave this one to the Steelers. Polamalu is pushing Ed Reed to be the best safety in the league. However, I remember that Hope and Griffin are both probowl safeties, and both in the top 5 as well.

K - Titans - Reed vs. Bironas, My Bironas has the hot hand right now, er, foot, though Reed has been one of the league's best over the years.

P - Titans - Sepulveda vs. Hentrich. Hentrich, as long as he is healthy, is the master, the Obi Wan Kenobi of NFL punters. It's another story if the back goes bad, however.

KR - Steelers - We've heard about Logan, and since the Titans situation is heretofore (I really said that) unsettled, it goes to the Steelers.

Coaches - Tomlin vs. Fisher - I almost call it a push, but will give the edge to the Steelers, because it's really Tomlin-Arians-LeBeau vs. Fisher-Heimerdinger-Cecil. Fisher has the experience, Tomlin has the ring and LeBeau. Fisher probably can't give Cecil full reign, especially not in this game. I do like Heimerdinger over Arians, but the Steelers have a 12th man playing on their side tonight.

The paper advantage belongs to the Titans. The intangibles advantage, however, goes to the Steelers. If the Titans can weather the emotional storm the Steelers will bring, in essence, stay calm, look for the cracks in the black and gold armor, without committing costly penalties and turnovers, they have a very good chance to win. Few teams match up as well with the Steelers as the Titans do, but these teams have a taste for each others' blood, as evidenced by having been once-divisional rivals in the old AFC Central. That taste has seemingly lingered over the years. The Titans can hang in there if they don't give into the lights and pomp and circumstance of Pittsburgh's Heinz Field, and realize the David vs. Goliath comparisons are more in people's heads than it is on paper.

I already called my prediction, but I think this will be a great game regardless...a true nail-biter regardless of the final score.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

I disagree with 1 thing, Fisher is the best coach in football.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Overall, I completely agree with that. But tonight, Tomlin has the ring, which in coaching circles = edge, and it's in his house tonight, and they start this season off as champions. That crowd is his to control. In strategy terms, Tomlin has "the high ground." I do not doubt Fisher can over come that. Fisher is the best coach, but it's about who has the "advantage" for the coach, while it's about which group is "better" for the skill players. Tomlin does tonight. In our house, he does not. Today, the Steelers have a massive amount of momentum which Fisher is tasked with completely disrupting. That's all it is. I should have clarified that.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Good read.

Just my 2ยข but I think if the Titans keep it close late, they'll win. I really feel they will wear down the Steelers on the OL and DL.

The Titans can't give up the easy score. Win the turnover battle and they'll likely win the game.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Ahh ok i get it.

Why is it when titans jeff says something, it just has to be true? The guy could convince me to jump off a cliff :ha::ha:

6. Hypocycloid

Hypocycloid Camp Fodder

Looking at match-ups from a different perspective, I think this game should be pretty close.

The biggest advantage for the Titans is their defensive line/linebackers versus the Steelers offensive line. I'm interested to see what scheme the new defensive coordinator comes up with. If the Titans shut down the running game, they increase their chances of winning substantially.

The Titans secondary is good, but I give a slight edge to the Steelers receivers, factoring in Roethlisberger's ability to complete passes when things break down.

The Steeler defense played their worst game against the Titans last year. If given enough time, Collins can dink and dunk down the field. Biggest individual match-up is Harrison vs. Roos. 3 sacks or more = Steelers victory. 2 or less, and the Titans win. 100 yards for Chris Johnson and the Titans win.

Special teams edge goes to the Steelers, with the addition of Stefan Logan and the return of Daniel Sepulveda. The Titans are unsettled at the KR/PR positions.

Last year's game would have taken on a different complexion had not Roethlisberger fumbled. This game might come down to turnovers. If a defensive touchdown is scored, that team wins.

Another factor is the Steelers inability to score in the first quarter. I think they were near the bottom of the league in first quarter points last year. A quick start by the Steelers will keep the crowd in a frenzy; a quick start by the Titans will take the crowd out of the game somewhat.

Intangibles--slight edge to Pittsburgh. Atmosphere and crowd, plus revenge of the Terrible Towel to Pittsburgh; proving they should have beaten the Steelers in the AFCCG goes to the Titans.

Coaching--pretty even. Both have their strengths, but Fisher has a significant edge in experience.

I'll stick with my prediction in the other thread, 24-10.

7. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

overall I do not understand why no one is taking the titans on sirius nfl radio and I do not get the line being 6. The line for bucs cowboys is 6 titans I think will win and damn sure cover 6

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The Titans start out slow too. I really don't think the Titans did much scoring in the first quarter last season. I expect we're going to see a lot of punts early in this one. Field position always is a key in close/smashmouth games.

9. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

I rather start out slow and have the momentum at the end.

If we start out on fire, i expect things to turn good late for the Steelers.

10. MrBean

MrBean Master of Not Much

How is 24-10 close?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar