Titans - Victims of stolen value (Who would you have drafted??)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by nate42104, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

I believe we were the victims of horrific luck this draft. The leading up to of each of our first 2 picks looked great with about 3-4 teams ahead of us. And, in each round, each of the teams took every player that would have worked for us. In the first it was Felix, Mendenhall, and in my opinion Talib. I believe our pick at that spot should have been Mike Jenkins who could have been our Pacman replacement.

With that in mind, I don't think there was any "value" to be had with either of our picks. Everyone had their eyes set on a receiver...in which I think we realized the number of solid crop without a single standout. When that is the case, it rarely benefits a team to take the first one off the board. I believe we were eying a handful of them, and were prepared to take whichever one was available at our 2nd round spot. Unfortunately, that unlikely event happened. What kind of "value" was there to take Desean Jackson with our #24 pick who ended up going at #49, or Sweed at #53? Each would have been a tremendous stretch.

In the 2nd round, at Philly's first pick at #47, and us just 7 picks away, I was licking my chops. I figured we WILL take one of the following: D. Jackson, M. Kelly, Q. Groves, or Sweed. And, slowly I lost my appetite. Jacksonville played it marvelously, jumping to get Groves knowing Pittsburgh would probably go Sweed leaving us in a NO VALUE position.

I guess I'd have gone Ducet in the 2nd round, but again, it's not really a ton of value, and with what seems to be every team in the draft taking a receiver in the 2nd round, maybe we have someone in mind.

Again, I believe we were truly victims of incredibly bad luck this year. I'm curious who everyone else would have taken in each of the 1st two rounds if it were up to them.

Mine is JENKINS/DUCET.

2. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

The problem with this draft is that the Titans didn't even try to move up to get the players the wanted. They simply settled for players that were "ALMOST" as good as the original players they wanted. For Instance: when ****tsburgh got Limas Sweed, (who I believe the Titans were planning on picking up)...they panicked and drafted the only DE that they thought was any good. Problem is, there were better DE's in the first. We should have gotten a good DE or WR in the first, waited until the second to grab a decent running back (like ray rice) and then we could have waited until day 2 to get a DE and a CB....I just think the Titans were using their heads at all.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I'm curious, how do you know who they wanted?

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

HEAD COACH JEFF FISHER

(opening statements)

Well, as you can see there was a lot of movement in the first round ahead of us and we got four or five picks away and we felt very good because we had three or four players that we were very excited about. A couple of them went ahead of us. We had been talking about Chris (Johnson) for weeks and weeks. As you know, we had him in for a visit. We met with him at the combine. We’re very, very impressed with he, in particular, as a person. He’s a very, very talented football player. He’s versatile, he’s got great speed and great hands. His numbers are exceptional at East Carolina and we’re going to plug him in wherever and whenever we can because we know he’s a playmaker. He has world-class, difference-making speed, which is something we need offensively, so we’re very excited to place Chris in the offense.

obviously we'll never know who those players were, but we took the left overs.

5. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Well, for starters, they brought in some people for interviews and such, and I think they wanted Mendenhall or Jones over Johnson. I KNOW that if Pittsburgh didn't pick Sweed, we would have taken him. We could have moved up. But just like our incompetant president, we were conservative.

6. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

For Jacksonville to move from the 26th to the 8th pick they had to give up (2) 3rd rounders, and a 4th rounder. Moving a few positions is VERY costly, and I'm curious exactly who you would have drafted in our spots, or where you would have tried to bump up? We'd have had to move at least 5-6 spots in most cases because the immediate teams below us were eying the exact same players.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

They had 3 or 4 they wanted and two were picked. They still had who they wanted on the board.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Interviews mean nothing. We didn't draft anyone we brought in last year, as I am sure most teams don't.

Again, how do you know?

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

This happens in every draft. The players taken early are always better, and if they had slipped how happy you would be. There will always be players you wish you had gotten, and didn't. But we did not get stuck. We drafted someone we liked. Just as we always do.

10. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

With the way the draft played out, my preference would have been for Devin Thomas and Jason Jones.

But if that happened, the Texans would almost certainly have drafted Chris Johnson in the bottom of the 1st. I'm glad they grabbed that stiff tackle from Virgina Tech instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar