Titans to wear Houston Oiler Throwbacks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheSureThing, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cajuntitan

cajuntitan 26.2ers can do it for hrs

I'm guessing it is because TN and Oil really don't go hand and hand like Houston and oil do. They just wanted to pick something more fitting. That's my guess. It's kind of like the Utah Jazz. How dumb does that sound? I'm not being a butt about it I really was curious. If the the Houston Oilers or the Tennessee Oilers had won a championship where would their Championship banner hang?

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

VY's high school jersey kind of looks like the throwback.

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I'm certain the almighty dollar had more to do with it and to say to Tennessee "this is your team, not Houston's" in an area that was predominantly Bengals/Falcons and any number of other team's fans that didn't like The Oilers..
    The championship banner would probably hang in Bud Adams place....
    Do Colts championship flags from Baltimore fly in Indy?

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

yes I think they do. The Irsays took the banners and everything when they loaded up the trucks and moved to Indy, Indianapolis that is, white milk, race cars.

5. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

Public sentiment. Bud didn't want to change the name, but he realized he'd have to as we had a referendum (anyone recall "NFL YES!"?) and those voters who wanted a team wanted its name to be reflective of its new home.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I don't recall seeing any Titans in Nashville when I visited :brow:

7. cajuntitan

cajuntitan 26.2ers can do it for hrs

Just out of curiosity! If they had kept the Oiler name would you not cheer for them on Sunday?

The name might have changed but the personnel on the team that left Houston was the same personnel that arrived in Tennessee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar