Titans to sign Da'Norris Searcy

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Mar 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

ESPN's grade for Searcy.

Tennessee Titans: A-minus

After three years of making the most of his opportunities, Searcy became the Bills' starting strong safety in 2014 and quickly made his mark against the run. When he lined up within eight yards of the line of scrimmage, he made 12 run stops in 91 run snaps. His run-stop percentage of 13.2 percent was the best for all safeties within eight yards of the line of scrimmage -- PFF's strong safety designation.

While Searcy's main responsibility was stopping the run, he was also successful in coverage when targeted. When quarterbacks threw his way, they had an NFL passer rating of just 21.5. That was the fourth-best mark among starting safeties. He had three interceptions compared to just nine catches allowed.

With George Wilson a free agent and Bernard Pollard released, Searcy will likely get handed the starting job in Tennessee. He is a younger, better player than both Wilson and Pollard, which is the ideal way to upgrade. While the Titans have other weaknesses that need an upgrade on defense, this is a very nice step in the right direction.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

When the safety market is crap, buys will be piad more than they should. It's called supply and demand bud, live with it.

Also, the safety position is deep in the draft, so it makes sense to lock one up in FA.

3. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

As much as we don't like Griff, you have to admit his play is a lot better when he has a competent SS on the field with him. His best years were with Chris Hope, then he declined, had 1 pretty good year with a healthy Pollard, and then back to crap last year. I think this Searcy signing is not only a big upgrade at SS for us but also boosts the play out of our FS position as well.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I HATE players like that

Griffin is garbage

Yes it helps when your counterpart is good too, but if u suck a lot like he does, nothing can really fix that

6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Griffin's best years came when Fat Al was the best defensive player in the league and was destroying offensive lines.

So the lesson here is, do whatever you can to find a dominant monster on the DLine and EVERYONE gets better.

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. Blake7511

Blake7511 Starter

And that guy went to Miami.

8. titanfanatic

titanfanatic I Piss Excellence Staff

I think your entire front seven needs to be able to get to the qb not just one player. Al was dominant but he also had a solid supporting cast around him during his peak. Seattle is a prime example, their back 4 are all talented but they wouldn't be the legion of boom without those guys up front. A solid front 7 will make any DBs look like super stars even ours.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

10. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I'm liking this signing more and more the more I read about it. I barely even recognized his name when we signed him, but from everything I read it looks like a perfect signing because it looks like he's ready to make the next step from role player to full time starter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar