Titans to Have $40 Million in Cap Room Heading into Free Agency

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wycheck28

wycheck28 Starter

now here's the million doller question.. is our scouting department that bad at finding talented wr's in the draft and free agency?are we bad at developing young but talented wr's ?? or does jeff fishers system make it very hard for wide recievers to flourish in the titans organization???

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm not sure I see this the same way. Of the big name free agent WRs brought in (Thigpen, Pickens, Givens), all were proven talents. The problem is that injuries are what impacted how they worked out for the Titans.

Where the issue is, for me, is how bad the Titans have been in developing their own WR talent with their early picks. Let's look at the last few years by draft:

'97
    2nd: Joey Kent - huge bust (F)
    4th: Derrick Mason - late bloomer (A)

'98
    1st: Kevin Dyson - underachieved, injured (C)

'01
    4th: Justin McCareins - productive his third season, traded for a second-round (B)
    5th: Eddie Berlin - never amounted to much (D)

'02
    5th: Jake Schifino - always hurt (F)
    7th: Darrell Hill - project that never developed (F)

'03
    2nd: Tyrone Calico - showed flashes, injury-issues (D)

'05
    3rd: Courtney Roby - showed flashes, never developed (D)
    3rd: Brandon Jones - looked to be a solid pick before injury (C)
    4th: Roydell Williams - shows flashes, inconsistent (C)

Don't forget Drew Bennett which has to be rated an A in this.

I'm not going to judge the '06 draft class. It's too early to tell. And Jones and Williams may do much more this upcoming season.

From what I see here is only three picks in the first or second round in the past 10 years. I don't know what the percentage is across the league but I bet the Titans have done about average with those WRs taken in the third round and beyond. Where they blew it was with those three early picks. If you don't get a solid starter from those first two rounds, regardless of position, it sets the team back because the team must invest a high pick again towards the position or put a lot of money into a free agent. Problem with the Titans is they've had injuries with every top FA WR they've brought in.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I expect the Titans will add a FA WR and one in the draft, rounds 1-2.

I expect Roydell Williams to be back. I expect the Titans to make every effort to re-sign Gage.

I expect Paul Williams to be given a bye. FWIW, he has similar measurables to Jones. I wouldn't feel bad about releasing Jones, honestly, but he does have some value, if only as depth.

If all that happened (add a vet, draft one, re-sign Gage) and we kept those named, we'd have 6 on the roster.

Then you have Ealy, Mike Williams and Chris Davis.

As much as I wanted to draft him, I have to bet against Mike Williams. Ealy has real value, I believe, but we'll see. I'm honestly fine with letting Davis go. The reason is he's less valuable post-injury. I think he's replaceable with a rookie, like Jordy Nelson or Lavelle Hawkins, IMO.

4. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

The only WR from the 06 class was

6 3(172) Jonathan Orr WR Wisconsin

and we has cut.

I would say that we scored a D+ in the 2006 draft for WR (since 6th round picks aren't expected to breakout, but we missed on Coleston).

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I meant to include this in my comment about Paul Williams: I saw him on Titans All-Access during one of the episodes in the 2nd half of the season. He was on camera for less than a minute, but he seemed very well-spoken and intelligent. I know it's trivial, but since we've gotten very little press on him, I thought I'd throw that out there for those who haven't seen him speak.

Very un-Trouple-like by comparison.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Sorry, meant to say '07.

7. soopacee

soopacee I'm Blaine Bishop

even if we would of had colston, he would have never put those numbers up in our offense

8. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

Next post please !!

9. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

True, but I have a feeling he would have at least made it on the field, which is more than we can say Orr ever managed.

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I don't mean to bust up the FA WR party, but has anyone thought about FA OLB's??? There are some decent guys out there, and that is one area where we are aging and could use some depth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar